Need to make small pond kid friendly shallow, need advice on several fronts...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, those are some elaborate pond covers.
You do realize that as soon as kids understand that they can get on top of the pond, their first instinct will be to see how many things they can put in the pond.....including your car keys.....:whistle:

Sounds like the words of experience!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most people do not even know we have a pond. You can't see it from the road and we back up to woods and corn fields. We are lucky to not need to worry about children. The kids around here are also mainly grown.

I made it walk out style, so if someone did fall in and did not panic, they could easily get out. IF!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
It's not the "falling in" part that's the problem, it's the "falling in and whacking your head on a rock" that creates a floater.

Our backyard is completely fenced and gated. Both brats are now in their 20's. I'd occasionally like to drown one of them, but I might need an organ one day, so I let most of their stuff slide................

That "filter" thing appears to be a sort of Skippy. Why not clean it out, crank it up and see what it does before trashing it?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
It's not the "falling in" part that's the problem, it's the "falling in and whacking your head on a rock" that creates a floater.

Our backyard is completely fenced and gated. Both brats are now in their 20's. I'd occasionally like to drown one of them, but I might need an organ one day, so I let most of their stuff slide................

That "filter" thing appears to be a sort of Skippy. Why not clean it out, crank it up and see what it does before trashing it?
My feelings, exactly! (On both counts.) The box probably served as a filter at one time, but media gets filled with crap, and when someone unplugs the pump, all kinds of plants will establish themselves in the fertile substrate. I'd clean it out and see what all is in there. As for the original question, a young child can drown in just a couple of inches of water! Have a grid made to fit over the pond (or make your own), and teach the kids that NOTHING gets tossed into the pond!
John

Ask a Question