New Filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Well, some of you have seen this filter before. but this time I have it on a 5000 gal pond.
I ran it with no filter media, except the end filter on the 450 gal per hour pump. In two days my water was crystal clear. If I use a couple of filter medias and the UV in the back bay, it will make drinking water.

Attachments

• IMAG1132.jpg
    IMAG1132.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Steve yes mate good to have you back dont know about drinking water yuk I tasted enough over 22 yers of having to syphon water from our former 6 x 2 x 2.5 koi tank :LOL:

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Man that filter is a monster! Clean enough you say to drink eh?...................I think I'll stick w/my filtered fridge water :cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Couple of replies::
Nice to hear from you again Dave. Still not recommending you drink pond water, but drinking the water after the filter is an option,LOL.

Hi J.W....... What adventure do you get from your Fridge? You should let me plate out a sample; might be more there than you think?

Hi Meyer......The reason I used a 450 is that the head from the pond reduced it to about 50GPH. My object was to make it a slow filter. As for health concerns,A little Jiardia helps one loose a couple of pounds real quick,LOL.

I have pool filter sand, Zeolite sand, blue synthetic swamp cooler media, small pebbles, diatomaceous earth, three varieties of wavelength of LED UVs and activated charcoal for medias; so yes I am presuming you can drink it safely at the end . We are surpassing water board standards and I am doing this slowly adding media one at a time. With some Agar plates and micro pics from my trusty AO Phase contrast tri noc micro scope this might even be interesting.

I got a little hacked at what stores are charging for filter medias to charge my filter and this is all very inexpensive

This is a long term experiment and when it gets too cold I'll have to shut down for the winter, although I am considering running the pond with solar tube collectors.

To date I added one blue 6X26 pad folded in half across the first weir and another 26X26 flat at the fifth tank with a small blue 8X8 pad folded into the 4 inch overflow.
In 24 hours all pads had brown dead algae stains with the heaviest concentrations on the overflow pad and the first weir as the pond is now 8 degrees C. I shut the filter down during our Halloween cold snap for two days and the small 1/4 inches of rain made the pond a little yellow instead of the clear I first had. this 24 hour run made it clear again.

Last edited:

Ask a Question