New Paludarium to house the pond fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
20181028_131654.jpg

20181028_131628.jpg
I started with tank and then stuck plants in from the top. Thought hey at more and then became the paludarium. Never new they existed and loved the look so hey why not. Walked the back lane and found all I needed and the rest was lying around or in my pond. The back drop is a boot mat with grid and humidifier foam and a drip line above moss. Anyway for those wanting to go bit extra on current tank well now my waterfall and lillies etc I can watch all winter. Pardon the water as a lot of tannins from everything which I'll fix.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wow! That's beautiful! What exactly does "paludarium" mean? I get the "aquARIUM" part... what's the PALU part?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
Paludarium is water and land with marginal plants and terrestrial as well as aquatic. The amount of moss types when under these lights are amazing. Added the bromliads which are the flowering ones the lillies are on bottom still recovering from being cut up after removed them from pond. Once you google paludarium you will be amazed the styles and especially from Japan. Mine is a bit unique in that it is not supported by tank substrate and the watering effect on back I made up. Here's a quick video if you like.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
Ok so then do the Bromliads smell good? They look like they should :)
Actually no as the bromliads top leaves are just colored leaves. They attach to trees and that is where I have them mounted. They are similar to air plants but require some moisture. Next addition will be orchids and they will smell wonderful and should do very well in the mossy woods.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nicely done.
I had a paldarium or a vivarium no one could ever tell me which it was as it really didn't fit either category completely. My avatar is from that tank I so miss it. if I ever stop traveling I have glass for a 6 foot long 36" deep and 30" high tank. My wife can't wait to see whats next yet is very afraid what is next . if you want a crazy idea check out page 8 here
https://www.aquariacentral.com/foru...m-unsure-but-i-think-youll-like.110988/page-7

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
Nicely done.
I had a paldarium or a vivarium no one could ever tell me which it was as it really didn't fit either category completely. My avatar is from that tank I so miss it. if I ever stop traveling I have glass for a 6 foot long 36" deep and 30" high tank. My wife can't wait to see whats next yet is very afraid what is next . if you want a crazy idea check out page 8 here
https://www.aquariacentral.com/foru...m-unsure-but-i-think-youll-like.110988/page-7
Looked great, I'd call that one a riparium.

Www.paludariumzone.com

Last edited:

Ask a Question