New pond and plans for a big one

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Attached is a picture of my new pond. DH bought a preform off Craigslist. I think is is about 150-200 gallons. It has been in for about 2 months and I'm addicted. Pic attached.

We've got some rosy reds and comets in there. Everything is testing great and I'm enjoying it.

Of course, I want a bigger pond.

I'm thinking about a new pond that's 11x9ft. Above ground 14 inches and the rest below. Total depth around 42".

Thinking that the preform will become a bog filter. The pump will live in the bog and pump to the filter then to the waterfall into the big pond. Big pond waterfall into bog. All the fish will live in the big pond.

I've used software to render the new setup. Pic attached.

The above ground sides will be 4x4 pressure treated lumber, stacked like Lincoln logs.

Liner will be EDPM.

We'll start digging in the spring

Feedback?

Thanks,

Debby

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 333
  • new pond.jpg
    new pond.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 299

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome .....Would do it the other way around and have the smaller bog dump into the larger pond. Reason being when you lose power you are going to lose a decent amount of water over the side of the bog, as the larger water volume pond dumps into it, w/o pump running. You will lose less water with the smaller pond/bog dumping into the larger one.

Nice looking design on the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Also, for a "bog" of this type to act as a filter, you want the water to be pumped up from the bottom and through the gravel and plants and then flow into the pond. Dumping water into the bog filter won't be effective and will be prone to clogging.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I agree with @Jhn and would definitely have the bog dump into the larger pond but that might mean not using the pre-formed pond for the project at all. You might just have a raised bog box spill into a raised pond. My pond is built in that fashion but yours would likely need to be on a much larger scale considering my whole setup is only about 475 gallons.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
keep the preformed as is and use it for plants and baby fish .I have been thinking of making my preformed into a water feature

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice set up. Have your bog water fall into your pond, like said above.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
how would you get to the pump when it gets plug ,which it will often

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What if I put the pump into the bottom of the bog and pump the water back up into the big pond?

Sissy asks a good question. Plus, a down flow bog, which is what you're talking about, is prone to clogging at the top as well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What if I put the pump into the bottom of the bog and pump the water back up into the big pond?
I had a down flow bog once ages ago. It was always getting clogged up on the surface and over flowing. I had it flowing out of the bottom, but quite often it flowed out of the top.

Ask a Question