New Pond Build Questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Everyone,

I've been a longtime member and have spent many years reading posts, articles and watching YouTube videos. I finally plan to dig a pond this year after using a stock tank pond for a few years.

I'm hoping you can help with a few questions:

-How do I build a "beach" area that will slope into the pond? I plan to use pea gravel. Do I build several shorter shelves (like 6"), or, do I build a gradual ramp?

-If I want to include fish (I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota -- zone 4B), will they survive in a 4-feet deep pond over winter if I allow the top to completely ice over, or, would I need to take them indoors or keep a heater/bubbler in the pond to keep them alive?

-I plan to dig the first shelf all around the perimeter at 12" deep (with a shelf of 2 to 3 feet wide in places), and then a second shelf in a few spots 24" down from the surface (12" down from the first shelf) with a shelf width of 2 feet. And then dig to the bottom -- 3 feet deep. Is that sufficient? Or, is a third, deeper shelf a good idea? I want to keep lilies, lotus, cattails, marsh marigold, horsetail, irises, sedges, cardinal flowers and some submersed plants like val and anacharis. Lilies are the main attraction, of course.

-Is building in a fish cave a good idea? I saw a video that did not recommend them because fish often go die inside and can be hard to retrieve.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hi there! I will respond to the beach question, since I'm doing one as well. I had a similar question. I'm planning this pond for wildlife, so I want critters to be able to access it. I was considering a ramp, but then realized the gravel will just slide down to the lowest spot, exposing the liner. I decided to do a series of shallow step-type levels. I'm planning to get rosy red minnows, which will hopefully be able to get into the shallow areas to eat mosquito larvae. Be sure to post pictures of your work! As soon as I can afford rocks, I will continue my build. I'm hoping I can work on it this summer!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there! I will respond to the beach question, since I'm doing one as well. I had a similar question. I'm planning this pond for wildlife, so I want critters to be able to access it. I was considering a ramp, but then realized the gravel will just slide down to the lowest spot, exposing the liner. I decided to do a series of shallow step-type levels. I'm planning to get rosy red minnows, which will hopefully be able to get into the shallow areas to eat mosquito larvae. Be sure to post pictures of your work! As soon as I can afford rocks, I will continue my build. I'm hoping I can work on it this summer!

Thank you! How deep and how wide were you planning to build your levels? And how many levels? That sounds like a smart idea.

As for rocks, I hand collected hundreds of small to medium boulders that people were giving away on Craigslist. I hope it will be enough.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm not sure of exact measurements or anything. I just got outside and started working. I will attach a picture of what I have so far.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I realized I don't have a photo that shows it very well. If I had to guess, I'd say It starts out at about 8" deep, figuring I'll have some rocks in there in the bottom. Then it goes to about 10" and then to 12". That 12" deep area is probably about 3 feet x 5 feet. Next level down is 2 feet, then 3.

Ask a Question