Next years project - Advise please

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to this site, and have minimal knowledge about ponds so be gentle :shame:.

I currently live on a small property (5 acre) in the Blue Mountain Sydney Australia. I have been trying my hand at gardening and have really taken a liking to it. I have decided that my next big project is going to be a large pond as I would like to encourage the native wildlife etc. Not really interested in a Koi pond, although they are beautiful so potentially could be convinced to change my mind.

I'm looking a building the pond about 12 meters long by 8 meters wide, and this stage I have picked out an area which I believe most appropriate, as it receives partial shade/sun throughout the day. However the location is close to a deciduous tree. I am planing of using a pond liner, and having this site excavated professionally. I also have a close friend who is a biologist, and is interested in helping me select the correct water plants in an attempt to create a health ecosystem.

I just have a couple of questions and would love any advise:

1. Has anyone used the pond liners for sale on ebay? If so thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pond-Lin...642532?hash=item2ef62d0a64:g:f3oAAOSwKtVWxtHx

2. Pond filter/pump. Should I be considering one and if so what size? I believe the pond volume will be about 48,000L.
Would a solar pump be suitable for this size pond?

3. Is is possible to avoid a powered pond (Pumps etc) by selecting plants appropriately?

4. Should I consider a skimmer being close to the deciduous tree?

5. What depth should I consider? I was initially thinking about 750mm, but is this over kill?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure there will be more questions soon.

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reinforced HDPE liner is most suitable for larger applications such as your proposed pond. Since it is manufactured within Australia, the cost should also be a deciding factor.

For depth, I would recommend no less than 1.5 meters.

A skimmer would not be necessary if this is to be a wildlife pond

Is there a particular reason that you want this to be a lined pond. Since you plan on having this professionally excavated the contractor could very easily seal it with clay and/or Bentonite. An earth-bottom pond is much more conducive in obtaining the environment that you are seeking for a wildlife pond. As an added benefit you would not need a pump. An aerator in its stead would be indicated.

In the selection of plants for a wildlife pond three (3) criteria should be followed: Sufficient number of plants, wide diversity and use of native plants where possible.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks for the quick response.

WOW 1.5 meters deep. I was way out. I have been doing a little bit of reading, but didn't release it needed to be that deep Everywhere I read indicated that anything deeper then 400mm would be suitable. This will change my volume substantially,which is not an issue just means more liner and water :joyful:.

The reason I had considered a liner was because my parents use to have clay lined pond similar size to the one I'm looking at making. They had on going issues with dirty/muddy water and numerous leaks. However this could have been from a build issue. Eventually it got to the point that they could not keep the water in the pond, so the re lined it with a EPDM liner and have never had an issue since. They don't run a filter or pump and to be honest it doesn't look perfect. They spend little time maintaining it as they are way to busy with work. Im lucky in that respect and get my fair share of rest days.

Do you think going the clay/bentonite way would be financially cheaper? By the way what it bentonite?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick response.

WOW 1.5 meters deep. I was way out. I have been doing a little bit of reading, but didn't release it needed to be that deep Everywhere I read indicated that anything deeper then 400mm would be suitable. This will change my volume substantially,which is not an issue just means more liner and water :joyful:.

The reason I had considered a liner was because my parents use to have clay lined pond similar size to the one I'm looking at making. They had on going issues with dirty/muddy water and numerous leaks. However this could have been from a build issue. Eventually it got to the point that they could not keep the water in the pond, so the re lined it with a EPDM liner and have never had an issue since. They don't run a filter or pump and to be honest it doesn't look perfect. They spend little time maintaining it as they are way to busy with work. Im lucky in that respect and get my fair share of rest days.

Do you think going the clay/bentonite way would be financially cheaper? By the way what it bentonite?

Bentonite is a type of clay that has the ability to expand when wet effectively creating a water-tight seal. It is usually mixed with clayey-loam when constructing an earthen-bottom pond. It should be available in Australia.
For a wildlife pond I would have nothing but earthen-bottom. Plants can be planted directly into the pond...no unsightly pots or containers. A wider diversity of aquatic life, especially at the micro- and meio- size, can be supported creating a much more stable and rich eco-system. Habitat for larger animals is easier to create.
I would think that overall an earthen-bottom would be less expensive, but get some quotes before you decide.

Ask a Question