ok my fish or at least my Koi is jumping ?

Reaction score
Anyone care to tell me why all of a sudden my large(ish) Koi is jumping all of a sudden , just watched him jump twice although it looks cool, could there be something wrong (we were bbqing salmon right next to the pond at the time maybe he was upset lol) seriously is this normal behaviour or could there be something wrong with/in the water ??? .. Been pea soup for a couple of weeks but its finally dying down now so the water is clearing could he be jumping for joy ?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Some people here have had their koi jump like that right outta their ponds. Might be something to do w/ Spring has Sprung and he/she wants to also,lol! Just be careful cuz if he/she lands outside the pond and you aren't there he/she goes to the big fish heaven in the sky! Some use nets but not ones that the fish can get caught in when they jump. I've heard of people lowering the water level in their ponds during spawning season to help keep them from jumping out also.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Jumping can be a problem. It can be what's call flashing as well. This is normally when the flash against a pot, rock, side of the pond, etc. but jumping is common as well. This is most commonly seenin the early stages of a parasite outbreak or it can also be found if water quality quickly deteriates. easiest thing to check would be water tests. include ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, GH and KH at a minimum. If all that checks good and the jumping continues you may need to examine the fish for possible problems.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
During a thunder storm i see a little jumping in the ponds
I have lost a few that way

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
During a thunder storm i see a little jumping in the ponds
I have lost a few that way

mine dive for the bottom with every boom, none jump, They must like the bottom better

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Some of the smaller koi were jumping out of the water while I was visiting the pond store last weekend. He said they don't "like" the water and I saw him dump some stress coat stuff in the water.....

Reaction score
In addition to poor water, parasites, large noises that scare them...

New water can cause jumping. The thinking is the new water makes them think there is a stream around and they're trying to jump into the stream. Mostly a spawning thing, but can happen any time. So moving fish from one body of water to another or a large water change can produce jumping.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a jumper. She jumped out of the net when I bought her, right on the floor. She hasn't jumped out of the pond, but she jumps straight up than back down in the water. A few of them do it at night. I always thought they were catching bugs.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It's funny, we moved our fish this week and a few are doing some jumping as well. I've been monitoring water and all my fish have been in my old pond for eight months or longer. We got all the Koi measured and withing 24 hours they were swimming in a large group, some jumping and I've even seen some chasing going on but it's only lasting for a minute or so. nothing like active breeding yet but I wouldn't be surprised. I've yet to check the water temp but my guess would be in the mid 70's. as I've been in and out of the pond a few times today.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
mine were, a few weeks back, doing some lite chasing,and bump & nudging in the basement pond....cant go outside yet tho. no plant coverage. my lillies were showing signs of life. but either the bubbles poured in or the return of the cold retarded their progress. it even looks as tho some nice purpley red pads have turned brown and died off. anyways we had that nice warm spell and the GBHs are back in town early. been seeing them in the creeks. my fish dont usually go outside til the beginning of June anyways.

Reaction score
ok my two older ponds the fish are bumping nudging and wearing each other out , spring has definitely arrived we have had hot, warm, moderate, and cold, temps in the last week or two so temperature has fluctuated a lot , and now storms and a lot of rain , all my spring plants are in bloom and been that way for two weeks , but had 2 nights last week had to cover in case of frost , heck i even have a bell pepper about to sprout a flower and its only mid april !!!!!, phlox is in a second bloom this season ( i am told this is unusual), so i am not surprised my fish are nudging bumping and chasing each other , however in the third pond which is well shaded most of the day ( the other two are in the morning but after noon warm up a lot ) my Koi is acting weird this i do know HE IS ABSOLUTELY TOO BIG FOR THE POND but i had to take him as the previous owner had nowhere to put him and was moving i was his last option been looking for an adopter but no luck yet .... The koi was doing great at first but then we had an algae bloom he went to the bottom and stayed hidden until water started to clear ( using u.v here) once he i could see partialy into the water he started flashing , then the other day he jumped twice , and did it again each day , funny tho he /she only jumps twice in a row then settles down for the rest of the day its becoming a pattern and now i come to think of it always around the same time of day , i told ya he/she was acting weird but what do i know perhaps this is normal as i am not a koi expert nor am i a fish , so i rely on you guys to give me some advice .. so ....Batter up ... swing away !!!!

Reaction score
Fishin4cars thanks .... i have ammo-carb (fresh in there ) and fish moved right to where the water was falling thru it i placed it into the water fall right where the water enters first basin so i am guessing ammonia was high , i have lots of plants in the pond so i am thinking the nitrite and nitrate level is ok as they are thriving and i assume doing their job , ph i tested was spot on 7.2 and plenty of oxygen in the water , waterfall and air stone ,.... Now i know i need to test all this with scientific pond methods but i am looking for a test kit that will not be too expensive and is easy to understand today ,i'll let you know results ... i am hoping that the koi is just feeling the spring and getting frisky ....

Ask a Question