Ornamental Goldfish? (And a fresh rap yo)

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
This is the story all about how my pond got flipped turned upside down. Now I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there, I'll tell you how I got some goldfish I really don't care.........(about).
In Eastern Nebraska, born and raised, in the backyard is where I spent most of my days. Digging, landscaping, acting like Bond, building myself a KOI pond, when a couple of fish, who were up to no good, found themselves swimming in my neighborhood. My dad spent 80 little cents and I got mad, cuz these goldfish would make my pond look bad!

:cool::D:ROFLMAO:
That was absolutely awful.

Anyway, when I first built my pond I already was raising koi in a huge indoor tank. I told my dad that we had to wait a week or so after filling the pond before we put the koi in the pond in case something was wrong with the water and what-have-you. Basically, he got impatient and decided when he happened to be in the city to pick up 8 or 9 little 10 cent feeder goldfish. He put them in the pond and I decided they were alright for now. Half of them died in the Great Corn Leaf Epidemic of 2011, but now I still have 4 six inch common goldfish, which spawned last year, bringing the number up to six. I don't have that many fish, and I don't have the heart to kill them when they are this large, so I figure I should still keep the goldfish, but all the fry from last year were either orange or brown. Chances are that since these goldfish came out of the same feeder tank at the store, they very well could all be siblings, so the color palette probably isn't going to change much. Basically, if these things are going to raise the population in my pond, I want them to be less boring. I need to update my goldfish breeding stock.

I have had subunkins once and I really liked their look, more that these anyway, so I figure I will get one or two of them as well. But my real interest when it comes to goldfish is the ornamental varieties, like Lionheads, Moors, and Ranchu goldfish. I live in Nebraska and we have cold winters, so I have some questions about these fish.

1. Are these fish, like, guaranteed to not make it through a winter, or is it just more of a possibility than with the common species? What causes them to not handle the winter exactly?

2. I've heard that they can't compete with food as well because they aren't as fast, but my fish are usually very shy, so if none of them come up to eat while I am standing over them, will the ornamentals be smart enough to come up before the rest? Would this also give my other fish more confidence maybe?

3. Do ornamental and common goldfish interbreed? While I'm at it, do common, comet, and subunkins interbreed? Do various ornamental goldfish interbreed as well? Could a Comet, Moor, and Lionhead have a successful threesome?

Basically, I don't know much about goldfish compared to koi, especially the ornamental kind. All information and feedback is greatly appreciated! :D

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You shouldn't put "ornamentals" like the ones you mentioned, in an outdoor pond -- or at least not with other types of GF. They are slower and can't compete for food, and are more prone to injury. Anyway, that type of fish is meant to be seen in a tank where you can enjoy looking at them. In a pond, you'd lose that aspect.

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Technically the Japanese Rachu, which is basically just a lionhead with a bent spine, was bred specifically to be viewed from the top. My pond is also slightly raised so I see a lot of my fish from the side depending where I am sitting. Also, as I said above, my fish don't come up to feed, so the ornamentals could easily get the food before the other fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I like ornamental goldfish too but I went with a cross between ornamental and shubunkin goldfish - the Wakin and Watonai.. well, at least they have fantail but still shubunkin colors and shape. Thanks to Mmathis, I know about them.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like ornamental goldfish too but I went with a cross between ornamental and shubunkin goldfish - the Wakin and Watonai.. well, at least they have fantail but still shubunkin colors and shape. Thanks to Mmathis, I know about them.

Ah, gee whiz, thanks :) I really do like them [Wakin & Watonai]! They are very hardy fish [and greedy eaters!].

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Coincidentally, I'm watching The Fresh Prince of Bel Air right now.

Reaction score
Do they winter well in Michigan or do you bring them inside every winter?

Yes they do fine. They were under ice for 4 months this past Winter. And as far as good goes, goldfishcan only fit so much food into their mouth... yes, a single tail will win a sprint to the first bite but then it's mouth is full and the fancy fish will get the second piece...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I had an Oranda, Ryukin, and Black Moor in my pond (in Sacramento, Ca), and I brought them in before winter because of all the information I read. I wished I would have kept them in the pond. I ended up selling them and the tank equipment because I was tired of all the water changes. I had left two fantails with slimmer bodies in the pond, and they did just fine.

I also wanted to add that I found my common goldfish to be boring until now. He's so big and bright orange! Maybe you'll like yours better when they're older. : )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Technically the Japanese Rachu, which is basically just a lionhead with a bent spine, was bred specifically to be viewed from the top. My pond is also slightly raised so I see a lot of my fish from the side depending where I am sitting. Also, as I said above, my fish don't come up to feed, so the ornamentals could easily get the food before the other fish.
When they say ornamental they have taken every bad genetic mutation in goldfish and created in my view goldfish tha are not fit for purpose when it comes to them being outdooors especially .
They have fins missing, bent spines, scrunged up or displaced internal organs and are very slow swimmers to boot, leavng them open to being predated or open to the elements which they aren't able to cope with cplder water

Dave

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Well I am going to give them a try either way. I'm getting a few fancy goldfish on sunday along with a subunkin or two. One question that I still have is whether or not Fancies and common goldfish interbreed together commonly or not?

Ask a Question