MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Bettas are a dark water fish and do not like light. The water that bettas come from in the wild is heavily shaded, and also stained a dark color by leaves falling into it (like tea). It is best to only use an aquarium light when observing your betta, and leave it off most of the day

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Been thinking the same way lou .I have given a lot of my fish away .But then picked some up from an abandoned pond . I may rehome them since I have a list of people wanting fish ,but they are so pretty Kept them in a stock tank for 2 months and kept seeing how pretty they were so decided to put them in my pond for awhile .I have seen bettas in stores all alone but understand they like it that way

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm guessing it's not the light that is the problem (I have several bettas with lights over their tanks with no issues) One thing I have noticed is they appear to be much more comfortable in their home if they have places to hide. Live or silk plants and a cave type place to hide is appreciated (something as simple as an old coffee cup turned on its side will do the job) he may just be shying away while there are people near his tank.

If he is having trouble finding his food try feeding in the same place every time and tap very gently on the top of the tank a few times to let him know it's feeding time. Most all my bettas know when I approach the tank they might be getting food and come right up and beg for it. Pretty funny, I like to call them food seeking misles.

Would love to see a picture of him :)

Ask a Question