Planning a new Pond Project!

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
That weird area at about 1:00 -- with the wonky flat rock on top of underlayment -- that is a blocked-in void where the gate valve is for the other pond. I need to be able to access it. I'm going to put a pretty pot of some trailing kind of plant on top of it.
I like that idea! So this little pond connects to another pond for circulation?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I like that idea! So this little pond connects to another pond for circulation?
No - it is just right next to it. Previously, I had a pre-formed pool as a planter for my lotus - dug into the ground. It never looked very good. This is the new and "improved" version of that. Liner instead of pre-formed plastic. When I enlarged the footprint, it encroached upon the buried drain line from the other pond's waterfall filter, so I just worked around it. This little pool has still water. I'm hoping some frogs will find it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Good morning! Just doing a little update, here. We talked with my Dad and decided it will be good for him to have a small to medium pond with a waterfall filter (pads and bio balls) and a small intake bay. He can scoop debris out of the intake bay and other more complicated maintenance can be done by visiting family - once or twice a year. (Like cleaning out the filter falls.) We are planning to give him a drain out the bottom of the filter falls, so he can do like I do - and periodically let gunk settle to the bottom and drain out into the garden. This has worked well for my pond out front. Super easy - just turn off the pump, let things settle, then open the gate valve. Close and re-start -- easy peasy!
I was very pleased with the customer service from Webb's Online/Universal Ponds. I put a bunch of stuff in my shopping cart and then called. A guy listened to my request for a consultation about equipment and then said he would have a man named Joe call me back. Joe was really great! He pointed out some areas where I could make things easier (instead of this check valve assembly, which we would have to adapt to the tubing we are using -- use this one, which comes with all the adapters.) He figured out all the plumbing parts I would need. He asked lots of questions and walked through the whole thing. He said to give him a day, during which time he would add a couple of parts to the cart and carefully check through everything again. He called me the next day and went over things again -- AND he had managed to get me a small discount. I ordered everything -- so I guess this will really happen!!!!!!! :p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You should make an area outside the pond rocks where theres water two inches deep. so dad can watch the birds bath.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good morning! Just doing a little update, here. We talked with my Dad and decided it will be good for him to have a small to medium pond with a waterfall filter (pads and bio balls) and a small intake bay. He can scoop debris out of the intake bay and other more complicated maintenance can be done by visiting family - once or twice a year. (Like cleaning out the filter falls.) We are planning to give him a drain out the bottom of the filter falls, so he can do like I do - and periodically let gunk settle to the bottom and drain out into the garden. This has worked well for my pond out front. Super easy - just turn off the pump, let things settle, then open the gate valve. Close and re-start -- easy peasy!
I was very pleased with the customer service from Webb's Online/Universal Ponds. I put a bunch of stuff in my shopping cart and then called. A guy listened to my request for a consultation about equipment and then said he would have a man named Joe call me back. Joe was really great! He pointed out some areas where I could make things easier (instead of this check valve assembly, which we would have to adapt to the tubing we are using -- use this one, which comes with all the adapters.) He figured out all the plumbing parts I would need. He asked lots of questions and walked through the whole thing. He said to give him a day, during which time he would add a couple of parts to the cart and carefully check through everything again. He called me the next day and went over things again -- AND he had managed to get me a small discount. I ordered everything -- so I guess this will really happen!!!!!!! :p
I have enjoyed ordering from Webb's also. Have not had personal interaction with them but no issues with the orders. I think it is important to help small businesses like this in a niche industry, sure you can buy a lot of this stuff on Amazon but its nice to support these types of businesses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
You should make an area outside the pond rocks where theres water two inches deep. so dad can watch the birds bath.
I like that idea! I ordered the largest liner I could - without paying for separate freight, etc. - which was 20 x 20. When we get there, we will just dig to accommodate and make the most of that liner. I'm absolutely planning some little areas like that!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Just a little update. We are planning to go up and do the pond this summer - exact dates tbd. Equipment is arriving and my Dad is getting excited!

Ask a Question