pond algae as a fertilizer - collection methods

Reaction score
last year i started throwing excess algae and hair algae i was getting in my pond on my myrtle tree. i also had pillow batting and i would squeeze out onto the myrtle. well last year it did quite well, doubled in size.

i was wondering if anyone has any better collection methods?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have heard some people use a toilet bowl brush or a brush with bristles to collect it. I always throw water that I take out of my pond when I do water changes on our flowers and shrubs I think it gives them a lot of nutrients that way. We always get a lot of compliments on the flowers so I think it probably helps.

Reaction score
I used to use 2 long pieces of wood with a nail in the middle so it kind of worked like chop sticks. Opened them, stuck in down into the string algae, closed them and spun them around like twirling spaghetti on a fork. It depends on the species of string algae, but sometimes it all came out in one huge ball, along with leaves, sticks, and whatever. But that kind didn't compost very well at all.

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
Hi Mica. I can relate to the amount of hair algae in your pond because I've been there. We used to have 14 ponds and some of these ponds had hair algae and some had suspended algae. The ponds with the hair algae were nice and clear though. LOL That's because the algae is removing toxins from the water to keep it clear and the fish healthy, unless of course they get caught in it.
How would you like to get rid of your hair algae the natural way with biological filtration using healthy colonies of good bacteria. Let me know and I can send you a diagram and we can talk abuot it.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

Ask a Question