Pond Breather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
i was told by a few pond keepers that it isn't the cold that killed fish (in my case koi) but the build up of poor water,
but every year i cant help but feel a bit worried when the temp falls,
so that just goes to show you, you dont need a 10 foot deep pond water heaters etc keep the water as clean as you can get the fish into prime condition in the summer and just let mother nature take her course i am so pleased to hear the frozen fish are still alive. would have been my worst nightmare sorry but i do worry through the winter but bloody ace (thats a Yorkshire thing it means well done)

Reaction score
Country
United States
i was told by a few pond keepers that it isn't the cold that killed fish (in my case koi) but the build up of poor water,
but every year i cant help but feel a bit worried when the temp falls,
so that just goes to show you, you dont need a 10 foot deep pond water heaters etc keep the water as clean as you can get the fish into prime condition in the summer and just let mother nature take her course i am so pleased to hear the frozen fish are still alive. would have been my worst nightmare sorry but i do worry through the winter but bloody ace (thats a Yorkshire thing it means well done)

Bloody ace? I'm glad you clarified that phrase, I would have had no idea what you were trying to say o_O :LOL:

I'm willing to bet that poor or incorrect water quality kills more fish (pond or aquarium) than anything else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Good idea to buy the stock tank Tula (y)

It will most likely come in handy for you in the future and they last a long time.
Hubby really didn't want me to buy one, as he doesn't want to store it. I finally said today, I'll just store it outside beside the garage, upside down......at least I'll be able to do my own pond maintenance.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes and only lost 4 fish out of around 25 or so. Soft count, was not sure how many fish they went into winter with. All the fish were small at the beginning of the summer, around 2.5 to 3 inches in length.

Did not get a lot of fry, probably because all the fish were kids themselves, or they ate the caviar! ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Good to hear, he's probably happy with it then.
Does he have a lot of detritus on the bottom of the pond maybe? He still lost 4 fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
Home made pond heater looks interesting to me....

I agree that it doesn't look awfully safe....the premise behind it is also flawed.....incandescent lights which use more watts produce 90% heat to 10% light where CFL's (compact fluorescent lights) produce 10% heat to 90% light. So you are lighting up that plastic box more than you are heating the air in it. I like DIY projects.....but not this one.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
DSC02111.JPG
DSC02112.JPG
Ordered a pond breather for next winter.
@MitchM can you tell me did your pond breather have the little black box outside of the round cage?

Ask a Question