pond fish recommendations?

Reaction score
in the process of making a 8600 gallon pond, not really sure what fish to put in it. i live in scotland, so i cant have any tropic fish.

what i was thinking of so far was: carp, golden rudd, roach, tench and golden orfe. though golden orfe eat fry, so i might give them a miss.

is it worth stocking with some minnows? heard they can be handy for picking of the little insects/nibbling duckweed ect.

p.s, i have a black plastic square preformed pond liner, and i was wondering, if i put an eel in it, would it be able to get out? its just being used for breeding minnows that i use as livebait for pike/perch/eel at the moment. the tub is 5'x3'x1'

i currently have another circular one that holds 90litres that i use as the filter for it.

Reaction score
the reason im using alot of native fish is for the fact that il be part of the group of people pitching money in to buy fish for a course fishing pond, so i'l just add a little extra for a little more fish to be delivered on the side for me. will get them at about 20-50p each since we're buying them in bulk

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat idea luke, don't know about the eel, they can be slippery! My eel in my salt water tank was always escaping or trying to.

Ask a Question