pond in frederick, md

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
So beautiful and lucky you to be able to enjoy all your hard work every day. That lotus is awesome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Gorgeous pics, Addy. Thanks so much for sharing. What is the bright red flower back and few frames? The flower stalk is growing kind of sideways. Stunning!!! All your flowers are. I see you have made a floating plant holder. So, can those plants stay in that all year round, or will you have to remove them? Neat idea, to help keep the fish safe from that heron that likes to come visiting, or at least last year. Glad he's not made any visits this year, or hope not. Just that smaller green one.
BTW, I love the deep pink solid colored lily from you, and one is peach colored! I think I have not posted pics yet, had too much company. Maybe next week I'll get to that. But, thanks so much for the new colors of lilies, and I've noticed that at least one of the ones from you the flower goes above the water, and sometimes the leaves, too.
Lotus is GORGEOUS!!! I'm sooooo jealous, but so happy to view yours and enjoy it since I don't have any. Thanks again for sharing your beautiful gardens and pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This lotus changes colors the next day

DSC03781.jpg

DSC03780.jpg

DSC03779.jpg

preform lily flower, surrounded by frog eggs...........

DSC03785.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
looks like you have built a retirement paradise!

lol herz, it keeps me in shape taking care of this paradise, but I sure love it. I like to go out and just sniff the air, the flower perfume is unreal.

Growing up but still so cute!

My favorite view, well one of them

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cute how he sits up like that and still a bit wobbly now and then,lol!

Your pond looks great from any angle!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It has been fun watching them learn the stance. Some even get upright and hang onto the concrete blocks.

The first few uprights, they just went down on all fours. Still wobble a little, like they lose their balance, mom.........she just does the stance, not even a wiggle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
The only lotus that I bought that has lived (so far) is a "bowl" type, so much smaller. Not sure if I should leave the water lower, or keep it up to the leaf level, and let the leaves get above it. When I get home (in WI now, heading home this afternoon) I have on my "to-do" list to get my lotus seeds started. Thinking I'm just going to drop them into the other 4 pots and see if they grow, since the other lotus' died. They are yellow flower seeds, and the one that I have growing I think is a pale pink. The favorite I wanted was red and the others that died were deed or pale pink. :-(

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't do much to them, they like to be left alone. I do add fertilizer off and on. ow no pruning, grooming leaves etc. if the leaves die they rot, I don't cut them off

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Blessed, they are hardy, but have to be kept from freezing deep. If you keep it outside, just make sure it's in the bottom of your pond (like the lilies) or in a deep enough tub that the tuber won't freeze. I think they may be too delicate to try to bring the tuber inside, or maybe ok to bring the pot and all inside for the winter. I'm planning on dropping mine to the bottom of the pond for the winter, once the leaves die off.
Good point, Addy, about not grooming the dead leaves off. I've been doing that, too! Learning as I go .... :) Thanks for yet another pointer.

Ask a Question