Pond lighting tips and ideas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Since starting my pond I have thought about creating a thread about pond lighting because I realize there is not a ton of information on lighting and I wish I had put a little more thought into it. As @GBBUDD mentioned in another thread, lighting is a must. It really looks nice at night seeing the pond and waterfalls lit up. I thought I would share what I learned as a newbie since most people do not buy underwater lights every day. All of you can chime in with pictures and thoughts to add.

Basic overview of pond lights: they are LED lights that come in various wattage sizes, from 1 watt puck lights up to 3, 6, 8 or higher watts for spot lights. Seems like most stick with 1 watt for puck lights and 3 and 6 for spot lights. There are several manufacturers with several different styles, you can look at Webbs, Underwater Warehouse, Amazon, etc. I went with Anjon lights, they seem well built, nice brass construction, not that it really matters how they look since they will be underwater. I have two puck lights, one under each waterfall and one 3 watt spotlight in the middle of the pond.

The lights will come with long power cords, seems like most come with 15' to 20' length. These are 12 volt cords so they are not your usual two prong plug for a lamp, they are the small connector types that you push in and screw a cover over them. The cords then connect to a transformer which will then have a regular plug that you can plug into your outlet. When shopping for your lights you may think you are getting a great deal but remember you need a transformer, they are sold separately or can come in a kit. You only need one transformer but you want to make sure you get one that can handle your total wattage and plan on expansion. They range is wattage size, of course the larger the wattage the more expensive but do not go for the minimum because you most likely will add lights. The cords come with T-connections (at least the Anjon did) so you can daisy chain your lights making the wiring a little easier. You most likely will need a splitter, I got a three way splitter, I should have gotten a larger one for future expansion. The lights will connect to the splitter and then you connect the splitter to the transformer (which is outside the pond). They also have extension cords of various lengths, so how you set up your lights is pretty limitless. You will also want to get a photocell timer to turn on/off your lights, some transformers come with a photocell built in, at a cost of course.

The lights can be white or multicolored. I went with white, they are not the old harsh white led, but a softer yellow. Many like multicolored lights for their ponds. You can also get remote controls and wifi connections to the lights.

I was guilty of rushing the lighting. I am sure I was like most of you that when you get near the time to fill the pond and turn on the pump you want to do it as quickly as possible. The lights were the last thing I did before filling it up. Wish I put a little more thought into it. The puck lights look great under the waterfalls, they shine all the way up to the maple tree branches above and shimmer off the leaves. The spotlight is across from the waterfall going out from the viewing area. It looks ok, my wife is not crazy about the look, I think she wants it to point more towards the bottom or maybe the top (not sure lol). I should have gotten a larger splitter for future expansion and more lights. I already bought another to add in the Spring. It is hard to know how it looks until the pond is filled and the lights are on. Its not a huge deal to add lights later but of course they are easier to do before filling the pond.

Do think about placement of the lights. They come with bases but you do not have to use them, in fact it is easier to place them without the bases since it can be hard to find a flat space to put the base on. You can fix their position by placing small rocks around them. For waterfalls I believe it is recommended to have them about 6-8 inches below water level. Other lights you want deeper if you are in an area that the pond might freeze. Seems like people have issues with their lights cracking sometimes. The bulbs can be replaced, not looking forward to that but they are LED so they should last long.

I would love to know what other people have learned about lighting. What types and sizes, placement, etc. Also wonder how much you do around the perimeter outside the pond or any spotlights outside of the pond. Pics would be great.

And just fyi, I am not totally against multicolor lights. We go full Griswold at Christmas time as you can see from the pics I have attached here, which does not show all of them;)

Attachments

• 20221125_204835.jpg
    20221125_204835.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221125_204902.jpg
    20221125_204902.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221125_204931.jpg
    20221125_204931.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Glad to see this discussion. Kudos for the Griswold name drop.
I went cheap - my thought was to try them out and see how I wanted to use them before I plunged in for the higher priced models. I got a set of 4 multi colored led pucks with a remote and they have been fine. Pros: 40 bucks for the set, timers, color, still alive a year later. They do not have a weighted base and they have short cords between the pucks so placement is limited. For now I'm satisfied and know better how I might enjoy them and what to look for when these croak. Also, my pond is quite small compared to yours so placement is not nearly as involved.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad to see this discussion. Kudos for the Griswold name drop.
I went cheap - my thought was to try them out and see how I wanted to use them before I plunged in for the higher priced models. I got a set of 4 multi colored led pucks with a remote and they have been fine. Pros: 40 bucks for the set, timers, color, still alive a year later. They do not have a weighted base and they have short cords between the pucks so placement is limited. For now I'm satisfied and know better how I might enjoy them and what to look for when these croak. Also, my pond is quite small compared to yours so placement is not nearly as involved.
I was surprised by the cost of the lights. When you add together the lights, transformer, splitters, photocell it gets quite pricey. I noticed there were some end of season sales so that is why I picked up the one light to install next Spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To add to the Post @Pablo has started, lights are an art! There is a lot more to it than just drop a light here or there. Myself, I have not used any above 3 watts. I prefer a softer subtle light and use warm white lights.
Lights can simply illuminate an area. a little highlight, like shinning up from within a bush. You can have the light dance with the reflection of the water's movement/ current/ or even make it seem like hundreds of diamonds are falling down your waterfall/

1. I'll use the 3 watts to shine across the pond. 5 for a 25-foot-wide pond shinning across 16' on average. Placing lights deeper than the thickness of what your pond freezes too. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT! AT THE PRICE OF THESE LIGHTS THAT YOU'LL WANT TO MAKE SURE, TRIPPLE SURE THEY ARE NOT IN THE FREEZE ZONE OF THìE POND. they are no match for the power of ice. And at 200 bucks a piece. you won't make that mistake twice. If you place the lights pointing upward under some water movement the light will dance both in the pond and out.

2. 1 watt puck lights it seems there are two styles with slightly different intensities even though both are labeled as 1 watt. So, these lights I use about 6 feet out from my main falls, that is close to the patio. This makes the light dance. Because my falls and charater stones are about 12 feet wide, I use two pucks.
The second large fall way in the back i have two pucks again but they are in the waterfall pointing b straight up that makes it look likecdiamonds are falling over the waterfall.

3. I also have a puck light under some of the larger character plantings like my red bud and a Dwarf evergreen. There the lights are in the center ofvtge bush pointing up this gives the illusion the bush is on fire sorta speak.

4. I also have two 3 watt lights that are in the water but again pointing toward the surface so it lightly puts a glow on my large tree stump. Pretty much the rest of the lights are led solar. And will burn for about 6 to 8 hours depending how old they are.

5 A trick the pro's use. I sadly did not as the lights were out of the budget the first year. Is to run conduit through the rocked area of the pond so WHEN yes when the lights eventually die. You can easily tie a piece of twine onto the wire of the lights and pull the old light out all the while. leaving the twine to tie on the next light cable. This makes it so much easier down the road to replace a blown light.

The last tip I can think of is to add lights out and away from the pond a stone wall maybe a cool shed? Or even a dead tree. I even saw where some illuminated a hilly spot to yhe back yard but in the valley off to each side in the back. Like I said it's Art. It's your paradise there is no wrong answer other than there's no budget for them.

Unfortunately the quality of this video is not the best in this video its best left small and not blown up .https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5St0sSLUUHlF36m-w-yW0g

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To add to the Post @Pablo has started, lights are an art! There is a lot more to it than just drop a light here or there. Myself, I have not used any above 3 watts. I prefer a softer subtle light and use warm white lights.
Lights can simply illuminate an area. a little highlight, like shinning up from within a bush. You can have the light dance with the reflection of the water's movement/ current/ or even make it seem like hundreds of diamonds are falling down your waterfall/

1. I'll use the 3 watts to shine across the pond. 5 for a 25-foot-wide pond shinning across 16' on average. Placing lights deeper than the thickness of what your pond freezes too. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT! AT THE PRICE OF THESE LIGHTS THAT YOU'LL WANT TO MAKE SURE, TRIPPLE SURE THEY ARE NOT IN THE FREEZE ZONE OF THìE POND. they are no match for the power of ice. And at 200 bucks a piece. you won't make that mistake twice. If you place the lights pointing upward under some water movement the light will dance both in the pond and out.

2. 1 watt puck lights it seems there are two styles with slightly different intensities even though both are labeled as 1 watt. So, these lights I use about 6 feet out from my main falls, that is close to the patio. This makes the light dance. Because my falls and charater stones are about 12 feet wide, I use two pucks.
The second large fall way in the back i have two pucks again but they are in the waterfall pointing b straight up that makes it look likecdiamonds are falling over the waterfall.

3. I also have a puck light under some of the larger character plantings like my red bud and a Dwarf evergreen. There the lights are in the center ofvtge bush pointing up this gives the illusion the bush is on fire sorta speak.

4. I also have two 3 watt lights that are in the water but again pointing toward the surface so it lightly puts a glow on my large tree stump. Pretty much the rest of the lights are led solar. And will burn for about 6 to 8 hours depending how old they are.

5 A trick the pro's use. I sadly did not as the lights were out of the budget the first year. Is to run conduit through the rocked area of the pond so WHEN yes when the lights eventually die. You can easily tie a piece of twine onto the wire of the lights and pull the old light out all the while. leaving the twine to tie on the next light cable. This makes it so much easier down the road to replace a blown light.

The last tip I can think of is to add lights out and away from the pond a stone wall maybe a cool shed? Or even a dead tree. I even saw where some illuminated a hilly spot to yhe back yard but in the valley off to each side in the back. Like I said it's Art. It's your paradise there is no wrong answer other than there's no budget for them.

Unfortunately the quality of this video is not the best in this video its best left small and not blown up .https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5St0sSLUUHlF36m-w-yW0g
Thanks for the mentioning the conduit. I did not do it either saw that idea too late. Also so how the wiring can be done without the plugs and splitters, I think it was a video by modern aquascaping, but I think he was doing a lot more lights.

Just dumb luck that I have the spotlight low enough in the water, I think it is more than 24 inches. I was not thinking about the freezing issue.

Should also mention that you should want the spotlight facing away from you, if possible.

I have attached some pics I took tonight. The one that has light off the tree is a bit exaggerated, the phone did some enhancement. But it is nice to have the lights go up to those branches. And of course notice the clear water thanks to @addy1 bog;)

Attachments

• 20231004_190429.jpg
    20231004_190429.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231004_190442.jpg
    20231004_190442.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231004_190502.jpg
    20231004_190502.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 CAN YOU DELETE THIS POST . AND THE POST ABOVE THAT IS MINE THE PERIOD BEFORE THE HTTP NEEDS TO BE DELETED THE LINK IS NOT WORKING BECAUSE OF THE PERIOD

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@addy1 CAN YOU DELETE THIS POST . AND THE POST ABOVE THAT IS MINE THE PERIOD BEFORE THE HTTP NEEDS TO BE DELETED THE LINK IS NOT WORKING BECAUSE OF THE PERIOD
@addy1 is off sailing the high seas enjoying the last of the beautiful weather w/her man and her herd of critters. I'm sure she will see this eventually :)

Ask a Question