Pond on edge of patio

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, hoping some of you guys can help. I’m looking to build a pond on the edge of my patio. Size doesn’t really matter but I need ideas on how to build up the area around the pond as there is a slope where the patio meets the grass. I’ve attached a pic of the area where I want to put the pond.

Attachments

• IMG_4429.jpeg
    IMG_4429.jpeg
    527.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4428.jpeg
    IMG_4428.jpeg
    550.9 KB · Views: 32

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! What kind of edges are you thinking for your pond? There is natural rock, some use a brick or block wall, others use wood to get elevation for the sides. You want to make it exactly level with the patio?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m thinking natural rock for the edges. The top of the pond will be just below the edge of the patio. I’m thinking I’m going to need a lot of dirt and fill to build up the area that the pond will sit in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How much footprint can you give the project? Looking at your slope, away from the patio, I think I'd plan to build a garden block retaining wall (the big ones) 4-6' outside of the footprint of the pond. Once the pond is complete, you can plant the space between the liner and the wall to make the wall disappear from the patio.

This might also save you a lot of yard space and fill import. An earthen berm needs to be pretty darn wide to look reasonably natural.

As for preventing runoff into the pond from the patio, there are two solutions.

If you're going to add boulders, you can place the tops of the boulders 6-12" above the level of the patio. That will allow the liner to come a few inches below that and then back fill a berm from the top of liner back to the patio to create a drainage gulley. You'll need the liner to be a good 2' from the edge of the patio to accommodate that.

Another option would be to install a linear drain (exposed) or perforated drain pipe (below river rock) right at the edge of the patio to catch runoff and redirect it to the end of the patio or wherever would take it out past the liner and head downhill. That would allow the liner to be installed a lot closer to the edge of the patio and would be my choice.

You should tell us more about the size and construction style you're thinking, though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello, hoping some of you guys can help. I’m looking to build a pond on the edge of my patio. Size doesn’t really matter but I need ideas on how to build up the area around the pond as there is a slope where the patio meets the grass. I’ve attached a pic of the area where I want to put the pond.
It's long but you have two scenarios that I had to over come as well.

To bring it right up to the patio unless you have clas. Soils your probably going to need some sort of retaining wall.

And on the down hill side that could be a bit trickier as your town my insist on a engineers stamp.

Scroll through the first half untill you reach the build.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I’m thinking I’m going to need a lot of dirt and fill to build up the area that the pond will sit in.
Welcome to the forum!

You will get a lot of that dirt from the dig. My dig gave me enough dirt to build a 30 foot long berm about 6 feet tall on the down hill side of the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did something similar. We had a flagstone patio and I dug the pond up close to it. Let me find some pics. Had no need for a retaining wall and kept about 18-20” away from the patio.

Attachments

• IMG_1595.jpeg
    IMG_1595.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1593.jpeg
    IMG_1593.jpeg
    410 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1592.jpeg
    IMG_1592.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1603.jpeg
    IMG_1603.jpeg
    403.8 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I myself would do one of two things . One build a small lowered sitting area closer to to pond level. Make it rou d out into the pond . Or I would use the excavation dirt to build a berm so I could bring up the water level. A retaining wall may be needed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did something similar. We had a flagstone patio and I dug the pond up close to it. Let me find some pics. Had no need for a retaining wall and kept about 18-20” away from the patio.
Have you started planning of your next pond?
That was in Freeport if I remember correctly

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Arizona was not the promised land?

Good luck with your next build

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had remembered somewhere in the west , sorry to hear the weather was a bit too much . Welcome back to the east

Ask a Question