Pond owners worst nightmare

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Has come true.
8" of water lost in under 24 hours. Pond was full to overflowing yesterday evening. With all the rain we've had, should still be overflowing. Went out just a few min. ago, and top of one pump is just out of the water. :eek: I immediately shut that pump down. And pumped water from upper pond to lower pond which filled it back up to an acceptable level. I left some water in the upper pond, for the tadpoles and plants. The stream bed will be dry for a day or so, until I get this sussed.
The pump that I shut down is the one that feeds the upper pond from the lower pond. I still have a filter, and skimmer running in the lower pond, where the fish are, and those are all contained in that pond. I'm just thankfull that we have monsoon rains just now, which are predicted to continue through tomorrow. So temps should be reasonable, and somewhat shady.
I've marked the water level in the lower pond, and will check it tomorrow. If it stays the same, or increases, (rain), I'll know that the leak is either in the upper pond, stream, or plumbing between lower pond, and upper pond. I really hope it's the plumbing.
But with my luck, it will be the liner in the big lower pond, and I'll come home to a dry pond, and dead fish. :rolleyes:

I suspect deer have poked a hole in the liner with their sharp little feet. Hopefully in the stream bed, and not from trying to get out of the big pond with steep slippery sides.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oh my goodness, it's a horrible situation you have there, I wish I had a solution to offer but I don't (new pond person). I hope you find the leak and it's an easy fix as opposed to a leak deep in your big pond. Good luck.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OH NO! I will keep my fingers crossed that it's not the big pond! Let it be the stream bed and let it just be a misplaced rock!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry to here but with all the rain it could be a sunken spot any place along the stream that is diverting the water and so hard to tell when it is raining hard to see a wet spot .Hopefully just a sunken spot and easy fix .Standing on mushy wet dirt and then heavy rain can do amazing things

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Wait till the rain stops & then run it again checking the stream for leaks or low spots diverting water out. Usually the case & should be able to spot if it's leaking that fast. Otherwise start at the bottom. Fill the pond & see if you loose a lot of water. Then keep moving up. Use sump pump hose, connect it to a pump & move it further up the stream seeing if you lose water along the way. Can help isolate the leak. I say sump pump hose cus it's cheap. Use 1 1/2" pvc & clamps if you have to connect 2 hoses together. (Place each end on pvc & clamp it tight).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
My sister had a nice pond in Wasilla Alaska until the moose got in it. Tore the liner in many places where it got in and out. They patched it and rearranged boulders and a fence to keep the moose out. Moose got in anyway with her calf and they struggled some to get out totally destroying the liner. They gave up and filled in their pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My sister had a nice pond in Wasilla Alaska until the moose got in it. Tore the liner in many places where it got in and out. They patched it and rearranged boulders and a fence to keep the moose out. Moose got in anyway with her calf and they struggled some to get out totally destroying the liner. They gave up and filled in their pond.
Chipmunks were the reason we had to redo our pond 2yrs ago

@Bluerooster , good luck. hope it turns out to be nothing serious!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
OK, after shutting down everything except the big pond where the fish are, and filling it to an acceptable level.
I marked the water level. and went to bed. Today, rain stopped, sky cleared, sun warmed things up, while I was at work. I work 10 hour days with a drive of about 20 min. each way. So I spend about 12 hours away from home.
In that time the level in the big pond went from about 2" low, to only about 8" deep. Water in the upper pond held it's level. So, I've got a hole in the liner somewhere, in the big pond. I moved the lilies, and most of the WL, and WH to the upper pond, and put the swim-skim in there as well. Then set about the task of catching the fish, to no avail.
I guess I'll have to drain, and scoop them up when the water gets too shallow for them to swim. I'll be dealing with that in the AM. Or mabe at midnight tonite, depending on the water level.
I hate to drain it, and clean it to fix the leak, as that would destroy the eco system that I've worked so hard to get established. And all the plants in the stream bed may dry up and die in the process.

If I end up having to re-line, I'll dig a very deep spot, about 3' square, so that in the event of another leak, there will be a deep spot for the fish to go to when the water leaves. Mabe put an air stone in that spot. That way I won't worry so much.

Thanx for the replies. I'll keep ya'll posted.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
What's the lowest level it drained too? Did you shut down all the pumps in the main pond? If not, fill it, shut everything down & see how low it goes. Should drain to level of the leak to help you find it. Any pics of your set up? Might help us spot potential problem areas.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, you have isolated your leak at least. That's something. You may find that it's just a small tear or hole that can be easily patched and you won't have to rip the whole thing out. OR you may get to that point and just decide, as you said, to dig a little deeper while you're down there!

Good luck!

Ask a Question