Pond vacs - what works for you?

Reaction score
Specialized pond vacs are pretty expensive. I tried something different. Not really impressed so far. It doesn't like sucking a full hose of water.

It's rated at a higher horsepower than many pond vacs. One thing I think I'm seeing with pics of pond vacs is that they seem to use a smaller diameter hose instead of shop vacs. Is that correct? I'm trying to figure out why this Ridgid doesn't really do the job like I expected, and looking for ideas to modify it. I bought a reducing adapter for the Ridgid, so I can run smaller hose on it if that would help.

Is there anything special about real pond vacs, like the Matala or OASE? Magical pixie dust maybe?

Reaction score
Just looking at the specs of the RIDGID® makes me doubt it's usefulness. It says it has a 16 gal capacity and the "Powerful suction picks up about 1 gallon of water per second." From those specs I must infer that it only has a maximum working time of 16 seconds before you must stop and drain the tank.
I think it would be better to use a venturi type vacuum or suck and drain type system where the pond water is simple sucked out of the pond and drained out somewhere.
Here's what I made out of old pool pump parts. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/8850-pool-pump-to-pond-vac-conversion/

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have the oasis pond vac and am happy with it. There is another thread on this subject if you do a search I think you may be able to find it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
nah I don't use one either. Just net the pond off and on.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I've been using a Sears wet/dry for years http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917761000P and it's worked well for me. You can empty the water through a hose and I use it to fertilize my plants. When I first got it, I thought, if it doesn't work out at least I've have a shop vac, but I've never used it as a shop vac because it's worked so well as a pond vac for me. YMMV.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I built a pond vac, bought a pool vac, prefer netting. I don't want to hurt the pond critters netting makes it easier to sort them out.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Netting is pretty easy, even with the size of my pond. Takes me maybe an hour if I do a real good net job, like spring or fall clean up ow pretty quick.

Ask a Question