Prevent Pump Hose From Clogging

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That maybe the answer increase size and pvc but when done paint the pvc in the tropic pvc doesn't like to bake

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13a
Country
Thailand
That maybe the answer increase size and pvc but when done paint the pvc in the tropic pvc doesn't like to bake
The hose isn't exposed to direct sunlight except for a very short distance where it leaves the pond. The rest of the way it is either covered by rocks or protected by rather dense vegetation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if that s all thats available i'd still give it a quick spray paint

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13a
Country
Thailand
I cycled to the big hardware store near my home this morning in a second foray for hose. This is the only thing I found that was as big as an inch:

kink.jpg

Clearly not fit for my purpose. It's just not flexible enough. The garden hose I've been using for years is much more flexible and has never developed a kink like this. So, I'm back to square zero when it comes to the pond. Not a total waste, though. I did buy a new screwdriver and drill index.

I'm now convinced that the only reasonable and economical solution to this problem is to continue to ream out the hose every 48 hours or so. I just have to resign myself to the task and stop worrying about the whole mess. The pond is supposed to be a restful, relaxing addition to one's life. Not a source of constant anxiety.

I'm done, but not without thanking everyone who took the time to respond and offer help and suggestions. For that, I am truly grateful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks like basic vinyl tube. Might just need a gentle heat to get it to bend how you want.

Giving up in change for note is fine, too. Certainly better to ignore and enjoy than to
obsess without solution.

Maybe you can find an automated way to ream out your hose

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13a
Country
Thailand
My wife and I are headed up to the neighboring province to the north this weekend. I will try to persuade her to stop at some agricultural equipment shops to see if we can find some more suitable hose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13a
Country
Thailand
The saga continues. Our weekend road trip up north went through a major agricultural area: rice, corn, sugar cane, tapioca, etc. We stopped at a massive hardware store figuring that such a place in such a location would offer a huge variety of hose. Not so. About the same selection as the places near my home and certainly no hose as big as 1" except for the transparent plastic stuff.

So, I threw caution to the wind and ordered some 1" PVC Flex online. No telling when it arrives. I hope it's not long as the current hose now clogs up in less than 48 hours. When we got home from our wild weekend it was so clogged that the pump tripped the residual current device in the outlet. Not a good sign.

In the meantime I've started searching for 1" hose barbs. You'd think that such a standard hardware/plumbing item would be easy to find. Not so. Oddly, they do sell 1" hose clamps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The saga continues. Our weekend road trip up north went through a major agricultural area: rice, corn, sugar cane, tapioca, etc. We stopped at a massive hardware store figuring that such a place in such a location would offer a huge variety of hose. Not so. About the same selection as the places near my home and certainly no hose as big as 1" except for the transparent plastic stuff.

So, I threw caution to the wind and ordered some 1" PVC Flex online. No telling when it arrives. I hope it's not long as the current hose now clogs up in less than 48 hours. When we got home from our wild weekend it was so clogged that the pump tripped the residual current device in the outlet. Not a good sign.

In the meantime I've started searching for 1" hose barbs. You'd think that such a standard hardware/plumbing item would be easy to find. Not so. Oddly, they do sell 1" hose clamps.

Careful with your hose clamps. They’re sized by their actual diameter, and your 1” hose is probably 1.25” or bigger OD.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13a
Country
Thailand
Careful with your hose clamps. They’re sized by their actual diameter, and your 1” hose is probably 1.25” or bigger OD.

Right. The label said 1-1½". But, now that I got it home that seems a bit optimistic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If you are using true schedule 40 flex PVC, you don't need hose barbs. You can glue it directly to standard PVC fittings. Screw a male PVC fitting into your pump, add a pvc adapter to that fitting to increase it to 1", then glue the flex PVC into that. It's a good idea to add a union there for a less permanent connection or quick disconnect.

Or...instead of gluing the flex pvc, you can use a Fernco coupling. It's basically a rubber coupling with two hose clamps. I've been running a Fernco for years with no problems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you are using true schedule 40 flex PVC, you don't need hose barbs. You can glue it directly to standard PVC fittings. Screw a male PVC fitting into your pump, add a pvc adapter to that fitting to increase it to 1", then glue the flex PVC into that. It's a good idea to add a union there for a less permanent connection or quick disconnect.

Or...instead of gluing the flex pvc, you can use a Fernco coupling. It's basically a rubber coupling with two hose clamps. I've been running a Fernco for years with no problems.

You couple ferncos to flex pvc and it doesn’t leak? Wouldn’t think the flex pvc is rigid enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13a
Country
Thailand

The pump already has a 1" barb. What I'm trying to do is figure out how to connect the other end of the hose to my fountain which is a piece of bamboo with a 1" ID. Right now the 5/8" hose fits through the bamboo. I'm pretty sure the 1" PVC Flex won't fit. The plan was to feed a length of ½" rigid PVC through the bamboo and then use an adapter (or two) to end up with a 1" hose barb to which I can connect the hose.

Keep in mind that I'm in Thailand where it's just not easy to find stuff that is common in the US. I had to order the PVC Flex from abroad. I cannot find a 1" hose barb locally and will probably have to order from China. I've never seen a Fernco coupling in a hardware store here. I cold probably order online.

I grew up in the San Fernando Valley in LA. I remember my Dad relying on a place called Larry and Joe's Plumbing Supplies which had everything you'd ever need. I've lived in Thailand for 17 years now and have never seen a plumbing supply store.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You couple ferncos to flex pvc and it doesn’t leak? Wouldn’t think the flex pvc is rigid enough.
Yep.
I have a Fernco coupling at the transition between my pump flex PVC (1-1/2") and the ridgid PVC in my bog.
It has been there for 2 years and has never leaked.
I did buy a union to replace it, but never got around to changing it.

20220608_113419.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The pump already has a 1" barb. What I'm trying to do is figure out how to connect the other end of the hose to my fountain which is a piece of bamboo with a 1" ID. Right now the 5/8" hose fits through the bamboo. I'm pretty sure the 1" PVC Flex won't fit. The plan was to feed a length of ½" rigid PVC through the bamboo and then use an adapter (or two) to end up with a 1" hose barb to which I can connect the hose.

Keep in mind that I'm in Thailand where it's just not easy to find stuff that is common in the US. I had to order the PVC Flex from abroad. I cannot find a 1" hose barb locally and will probably have to order from China. I've never seen a Fernco coupling in a hardware store here. I cold probably order online.

I grew up in the San Fernando Valley in LA. I remember my Dad relying on a place called Larry and Joe's Plumbing Supplies which had everything you'd ever need. I've lived in Thailand for 17 years now and have never seen a plumbing supply store.
I'd be a little concerned that switching from 1" down to 1/2" would only result in the same clogging problem.

What is the OD of the bamboo?
Maybe you could use a rubber coupling like a Fernco to slip over the bamboo and over your new 1" flex pvc.
They make those Ferncos in various sizes and combination of sizes. You can buy ones that have different sizes on each end, if need be.

Measure the OD of the bamboo and the OD of the 1" flex PVC. Buy a Fernco to couple the two.

Ask a Question