Pump died

Reaction score
Back in April, I bought a Pondmaster 1800 GPH mag drive pump for our waterfall. Yesterday at some time. the pump ceased to function. In the morning, there was a power blip. I don't know if the power blip caused the pump to break, or if the power blip was caused by the pump failing (seems unlikely).

Anyway, I have removed the pump from my pond, nothing was blocking the inlet or outlet. I have also checked the impeller, and it looks ok. Plugging the pump in does not result in any noise or any indication that anything is happening. Is it possible I have missed something, or is this puppy dead?

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Wow, that sucks. Is there a breaker to be checked (are you sure you've got 110AC at least in the receptacle you're using? Be sure to check the GFCI in that circuit. Also (I am unfamiliar w/Pondmaster pumps), is there a GFCI switch or breaker switch on the plug or in the motor?

Reaction score
Well, I don't think the GFCI tripped on the outlet, my secondary pump is still up and running. It does not appear there is any access to the internals of the pump, with the exception of the impeller assembly.. It looks like the pump has a 3 year warranty though, so I may not totally be out of luck...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good luck on your pump, look up or find your user manual. It will tell you if there is a trigger that needs to reset. Sometimes they are "hidden"
You might want to try a different outlet, i.e. plug it into an extension cord etc, to make sure something did not happen to your outlet. Sometimes one part of an outlet can fail

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
There is what I was trying to say. Hidden "trigger", owner's manual would be the key. Also, the manufacturer's website might be of assistance.

Reaction score
No sign of a hidden trigger, breaker or fuse. Also tried it in another outlet, no love... I called Danner (pondmaster manufacturer) and the lady I spoke with said it's dead and to send it in. Oh well, at least this will be a good opportunity to test their customer service / RMA process.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It should work out for you! if not go up the food chain until you get satisfaction.

Reaction score
Just a quick update.. About 3 weeks ago, I finally got around to sending my pond master in for warranty service. Friday I came home to a brand new pump sitting on my porch. I'm really impressed and thankful for Danner's turnaround time on this, I really should not have waited until spring had sprung to get off my duff!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a es3500, used it for one month, it died. Waiting for a rma to return it. We had bought a es4200 for back up it is now plumbed in a running, another home depot run for different connections..........sigh
But I have noticed, this one pumps more water, it is a lot quieter, and smaller. I am not sure if the noise we heard with the es3500 was why it died. You can not even hear the es4200 running, well you can if right next to it.

So glad you got your pump replaced. We have a very low flow back up just to keep water running in the bog if both big pumps die on us.

Ask a Question