PUMP QUESTION -- THINGS YOU DIDN'T THINK TO LOOK FOR

vze3jnhz

????
Reaction score
Could you tell me more about pushing and sucking? I'm sure my current problem is applicable. After pulling the pump and filter for cleaning, I cannot get it pumping again. In the past I have moved things around randomely and got it going but not this time. It is an underwater pump, running fine --just not getting the water from the filter to the spitting frog.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
??? Have you tried pulling the impeller assembly and cleaning? Quite often Submersible pumps can get a small piece of trash caught between the Magnet and the actually motor housing, After a long period of time the Shaft gets a slime coating on it and things tend to stick to it after a shut down. Look closely for algae or hair that may have gotten wrapped around the shaft as this will cause the pump to bind up as well.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can even get a sliver of metal shaving in the magnetic part .I had that happen and thinking the little metal sliver came from the pump itself ,but not sure .Check your hose and the spitter they can become clogged with gunk .I spray them with peroxide and then have to blow them out ,yucky but works . :razz:

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
When you say it is Running fine is that to mean the impeller is spinning and not pulling/sucking in the water. ?

What kind of filter is it hooked up too ?

At a guess since it is small and hooking up to a splitter frog
I am thinking the filter is in the square boxes with the pads and bio balls in it.
if the above is close to right then I think it could be air
if the filter box is full of air the pump will have trouble sucking the water and get going.

Try this
Before hooking the filter to the pump via the intake. put the filter down in the water tipping the front of the filter up (Front would be where the connector is for the hose in this case) and letting the water to come in from the
top (Where the filter pads are) and pushing (letting the air escape) out the the connector. once it is full and you don't see air bubbles try to keep it in the water, hook it up to the pump put it in place and turn on the pump.
Also make sure that the hose that is in the pond connected between the pump and filter is not bent/curved up as there could be air there to try to pin it down flat with a rock or something, This makes for a easier flow.
and will help the pump with pick up.
Also with a small pump you want it as close to the filter as possible.
As they say it is easier to push then pull.

This of course is a guess on the above

Ruben

Ask a Question