raising your own fry foods

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
here goes....if your gonna breed koi or goldfish (actually any fish) the fry are gonna need to eat after a few days from the time they hatch. until this point they fed on the egg sack they were formed in. altho they may feed on some processed foods they prefer and get a more nutritional meal on live foods such as brine shrimp freshly hatched, spuralina, infusoriums,and daphnias all living organisms that naturally occur in a pond but with mans intervention can be harvested in quantity, outside the pond....heres some video tutorials to aid you if this is your desire
[ame]

when brine shrimp are decapsulated and thoroughly rinsed they can be fed to fry without hatching them if you like,(maybe after a few feedings so they recognize them as food?)...they are sterilized in the fact that they will carry no bacterias, or fungus and the full egg sack will be intact fully digestable and full of nutrition. you can buy decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, but as you can see, it doesnt take long to do it yourself. embrios carry more nutrients than hatchlings, with no shells fry mortality is decreased, and being smaller than hatched brine shrimp your fry can consume more at a time, increasing their nutritional value even more.

[ame]
this kids narration is lacking but the information is sufficient to culture infusorians. [ame]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read somewhere if your koi spawn you need t feed them within 24 hrs of hatching if people are new to breeding young fry and get caught without food for them in the first most important 24 hrs they can BOIL some (HEN EGGS) and seperate the yolk push the yolk through a siff and this will help the fish untill you get the correct fry food. or as the above advert. so dont panic a good old cooking egg will get you through in a emergency
John

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
This is an old trick to fill their bellies, however here is almost no food value in the yolks for fry. Grind up flake food or start hatching brine shrimp when the fry are hatched for healthier fry.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
hard boiled egg yolk is a good first food for a day or two when they start to freeswim. it has little nutritional value but it stretches out the digestive tract of the fry. the first couple days of life fry feed on their own egg sack, while attached to a surface...its when they start to free swim that food should be made available. and live food is a real good idea.

O.K 2 of us posted together but as you can read we said the same thing...one verifying the other!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
as an experiment i tried giving my fry GERBERS baby food green peas, and the carrots they seem to thoroughly enjoy it.. so they get brine shrimp, and a green pea, carrot and powdered high protein fish food puree now at 2 weeks old. ... i powderize the koi food in a blender

Reaction score
Probably one of the best foods for koi fry are Moina species . The nauplii are smaller than brine shrimp when born. They live in freshwater and do not predate koi fry. They are able to be bio-encapsulated with algae, hufa boosters etc . The nice thing is that there is very little work once you get em growing and they can feed the fish for up to a month .

Joe Pawlak

Blackwater Creek Koi Farms Inc
http://www.koisale.com

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Joe, Please post a introduction, Glad to see you join the group here! My dealer buys his Koi from you and I use your food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
I found this very helpful do big fish like fantail goldfish eat the brine shrimp as well?

Reaction score
Good evening every from south fl
I am new here and I found something interesting. I was inside my pond (3000 g) and as I was picking up stones, dead leaves and other stuff. I used a small pool net and found several small fry about the size of a grain of rice moving in the net. As I used my mask to see I found smaller fish about the size of a quarter. I caught one and showed it to my wife with delight. I have milk crates 2 of them zip tied together and I cut the bottom one so the fish have a place to hide. I have 4 sets of them. The top one hold the water lilie pot. When I looked more closely I could see more fish of different sizes, they are all black in color.

Ask a Question