Relining and Rebuilding a huge pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Waterfalls are responsible for leaks 85% of the time. What size is that pump or the GPH? That's going to fight with the main ponds water flow if the pump is in the pond under or around the deck .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They had said to use 3" pipe. See I didn't know you could run all that off of one pump - as I said pumps are a major blind spot in this build for me.

The waterfall is luckily taken care of - before the pond drained on it's own - the waterfall was working perfectly fine with it's own pump... I'm not going to mess with it.

There isn't currently a retaining wall in the bog there, I just wrote like that so that my contractor knows to fill it in there with dirt for about two feet to separate the bog and the rest of the pond. This has been really challenging because we are really working backwards on the design... The pond right now is a bowl and at it's deepest 7 feet... probably by the bog it's 5 ft but they are starting on bring the rocks that I have on the site down on Monday and building the french drain so I have to figure it all out pretty soon :)

[/QUOTE]
KEEP IN MIND YOU WILL WANT TO TRY AND KEEP WATER RUN Off from getting in the pond. it will add nutrients and pollutions. and unless your solely on sand you may entertain a under liner pipe or two to prevent the hippo.
a 8000 gph pump is not 2.7 hp and that sounds like a huge energy pig if it is but pumps can be mind blowing , hydronics is not a simple engineering field.
my 12000 is only a one hp

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure what the GPH of the pond pump is for the waterfall but we probably will run it fairly sparingly. I wish the waterfall was the problem. When I started noticing the pond getting lower and lower we stopped running the waterfall and within a month 5 feet of water had evaporated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Spoke to underwaterwarehouse.com today to figure out the pumps - He said he likes Easy pro better than aquascape overall - especially for large projects. He agreed that I should add another bog. We are thinking that I will do two 3/4 HP Easy Pro Self Priming Pumps for each bog and one 1.5 HP EasyPro Self Priming External Pump - 230v for the jets... I think there will be 6 jets total and they each need about 2000 gph

Highly recommend calling them - they were extremely patient and helpful.... and specialize in larger ponds/lakes.

Also the easy pro high strength res cubes are considerably cheaper than aqua blox so I am going to go with those. I will get the 8 large ones for the intake bay as per your recommendation. And they I will have 64 small ones in each bog. Adding a bog definitely adds to the cost but hopefully it will be all worth it in the long run. Also, he said that for larger ponds - you can usually cut the aquascape calculations in half. I.e. even though my pond surface area is 8000 s/f... I can instead cover the model in the 4000 s/f (or as I am doing) the model for two 2000 s/f bogs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dan has always been helpful to Me . I too run and ex pro. 1 hp 12000 230 .

Ask a Question