Safety reiteration for newbies and oldies.....PLEASE READ!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Whew! Caught in time. Glad you were home to deal with it right away. I think its always a worry waking up or coming home to a drained pond!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Let me add something to the list.
When I am refilling my ponds I have a small kitchen timer I set and keep clipped to my waist. If I walk away from the ponds I have a reminder that I have water running! You could also set an alarm on phone or watch! We all get busy and have that I'm going to do this but first............!
Excellent point! I do something similar [timer on my watch and timer/alarm on kitchen stove].
I don't do that cause my faucets leak and I have had huge water bills from water being left on. The thing is to do something to remind you that you need to check water levels!
Our faucets leak, as well. Have tried this [using a water timer], and it was a good idea initially.
Love the picture of the toad riding on the back of the gator!
When I turned the water off last night, that poor toad was still there. I guess he needs the water level to be a little higher before he can hop out

And to add insult to injury, the connector on the water hose [where it hooks to the faucet] failed after a couple hours of filling [and I was filling slowly]. This connector was already a "repair." So got a different kind at Home Depot and so far it's holding.

Fish were still looking good. I had to disconnect the pump to the SKIPPY while working on the pump tubing repair [which is not done yet, due to loss of daylight]. Fortunately, I have an airstone in the SKIPPY and it was still full of water, so hopefully the bacteria are still happy :) Water all drained out of the turtle bog, so gonna have to come up with a way to correct that issue.

There are 3 airstones in the pond and 2 smaller pumps connected to DIY "spitters," so there is still plenty of aeration and filtration until everything is back online.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This morning's development: @bettasngoldfish Well, here's what happens to your floating Oase skimmer when Mr. Toad decides to use it as a "toad stool" overnight, LOL! :LOL::ROFLMAO: When he landed on the intake [weir?], it blocked the water flow which caused the skimmer to "pop up." No harm to the skimmer. I shooed Mr. Toad to another spot.

image.jpg

And it just started raining [can see the "plops" in the pic], and coming down harder with thunder & lightening, which means my repair work will be delayed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Happened to me but it was during the winter during a bad snow storm and will never forget it .I had the pump zip tied to a crate and 1 of the fish knocked it sideways and the it was spitting the water over the side of the pond .I could not tell at first because there was ice on the pond .I was lucky I went out and looked in the pond and noticed that there was only a foot of water left .Lucky i have well water and an inside water source inside the basement .Now my pumps are tied to pipes that are across the pond .They hang down 2 1/2 feet from a water proof rope that I check often to see any wear .But it is marine grade and was told it would be OK but still I check .All my hoses run inside the pond and water fall and my filters are both inside liners that if they over flow will run right back into the pond .And I do regular mole inspections after last year moles chewed holes in my liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great advice. I never set my pumps too low and just last weekend i think I put one of them close to the bottom after cleaning the casing because I was in a hurry. I need to go adjust it. Thanks for the reminder!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Really good reminder for all! I keep both pumps up on cinder blocks. We like to take off for camping and such throughout the summer, and I have peace of mind that no matter what unexpected things occur, I should always have enough water for my fish to survive. I also FINALLY have a camera on the pond 24/7, so I can monitor pond activity from my phone, anywhere I am. For example, right now I can see my Chagoi totally decimating my water hyacinths. Frank! Stop it! NOW! :mad:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also FINALLY have a camera on the pond 24/7, so I can monitor pond activity from my phone, anywhere I am.
I love having a way to check on the pond, no matter where we are. Also the bees, veggies yard, house, cars lol I dial in off and on do a quick check then go on with life.

The cameras have more than once saved my pond esp when we first started wandering around, I call my neighbor and walk her through fixing it. One time we had just left for 4 weeks, the second day the water dropped by a bunch. With the cameras I could guide her as to what to check, found it, fixed, all saved.

Ask a Question