Should I leave the halogen lights on all winter for 50 Watts of heat?

Jeff G

A bird stopping by for a drink.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I live in Western NY - a cold climate., Two years ago I used a backhoe to dig an 8 ft x 11 ft, 7 ft deep hole, in a wooded area with clay soil. It made a nice pond about 1000 gallons. I sprinkled 100 pounds of bentonite clay around the sides and it holds water nicely. I top it off every few weeks. I put in 2 dozen feeder fish goldfish (I call them rescue fish) and 8 survived growing to 6 inches. They look great!
I installed an aerator that I keep on all the time, and a circulator pump fountain that I only run when there is no danger of freezing. I also installed halogen lights about 18" below the surface. 3- 10 Watt and one 20 Watt. I figured the halogens would add some heat to the water in winter.
I have been leaving the lights on 24/7 to act as a gentle 50 Watt heater thinking it would warm the water a tiny bit while the surface is frozen over.
Will leaving the lights on all the time be bad for the fish? Does it stress them? Should I turn them off at night?

Jeff G

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the info - and the greeting. :)
OK, I will only leave one 10 Watt bulb on and will switch the other 3, (10W, 10W, and 20W), off at 9 pm and on at 6 am. Maybe they will be more comfortable..
I wonder if the on and off switching will stress the halogen bulbs. We'll see.
I'll let you know.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
10 or 50 watts of heat will not add any heat to the pond, but having that extra electrical device in the water adds another item into the water that could pose a safety risk to it's inhabitants.;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was going to say the same - these lights will have zero impact on water temp. The only value is to humans - you, so you can see your fish after dark or anyone walking by to alert them to the presence of a pond.

Jeff G

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Last year, when it was covered in a foot of ice and snow some large animal broke through the ice and fell in. Fortuntely it escaped. I could see the track. Now the pond glows under the snow. The lights are a good warning.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I used to have halogen lights by my ponds too years ago. One time I dropped one in the pond while it was on, trying to move it so I could see deeper into the water. Good thing I am still here, as are the fish too, cause I had it plugged into a GFI circuit.
A couple years back I bought some under water lights, and have all sorts of them now, but trouble is they don't seem to stay bright for very long. After a year they seem to have problems and cleaning the lens was not the issue. So this year I will see if they have any new improved pond lights, or just go back to plug in spot lights.

Ask a Question