Should my pump have a cover over it?

Reaction score
I have a submersible Little Giant 3200 GPH pump. Currently it sits directly on the bottom, oppstive the waterfall. Should I elevate the pump or should it have a cover of some type?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a prefilter or cage can save you some troubles in the future, keeping out larger debris that could clog the pump....its a good idea to elevate the pump a few inches to avoid pond draining if an outside the pond or filter leak occurs

Reaction score
No, It is about 20 high and 6 to eight inches at the botton. I guess, I could if it is just the bottom part and not the whole pump.
Plastic colander I am assuming.

Reaction score
Reaction score
I just put together a "sock" for my pump. The dollar store had these nifty pack of small mesh bags, they are 12" X 18" with a drawstring, I put a layer of scrubbies on the bottom of the bag and put my pump in, and added scrubbies around the pump in the bag, then I just tied the bag up, enclosing the pump. Works very well so far.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have fake plastic rock over my filter which is next to the pond. It works well for me, and makes the landscape around the pond look more natural.

Happy ponding,

Ask a Question