Skimmer and bottom drain into a gravity fed drum filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a basic question.

I'm looking at feeding a bottom drain and a skimmer into a drum filter something like a Filtreau Drum filter and then a pump into wetland/bog filter.

Just to confirm, I do not need another pump from the skimmer to the drum filter?

I will put valves between the skimmer, bottom drain and drum filters to control flow rate.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
JUst done some more research, I 'm pretty sure I don;t need a pump for the skimmer

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Drum filter needs to be set to the height of the waters surface . the skimmer and the drain will act as a equalizer by overflow. Thus the reason for the 4" line . then once through the drum it acts as a overflow the pump pushes the water back into the pond it over flows by means of the pipes . that's where gate or ball valves come in they adjust what pipe will have what flow rate. I was going to install one this year but the maintenance and moving parts and ZEROn techs in the area made me shy away. out there i hope there's a few maintenance guys out there

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Drum filter needs to be set to the height of the waters surface . the skimmer and the drain will act as a equalizer by overflow. Thus the reason for the 4" line . then once through the drum it acts as a overflow the pump pushes the water back into the pond it over flows by means of the pipes . that's where gate or ball valves come in they adjust what pipe will have what flow rate. I was going to install one this year but the maintenance and moving parts and ZEROn techs in the area made me shy away. out there i hope there's a few maintenance guys out there
Thanks for the reply.

I was originally going to use settlements tanks for the bottom drain and then pump onto the bog filter and a separate route and pump for the skimmer, but it was hard to fit it all in. It looks like the drum filters are low maintenance and can be left for a few weeks, before routine maintenance. That together a simpler layout design for the pond and pipework make a much more practical solution for me. I just hope my budget is big enough for this and all the other hard landscaping the garden needs.

I'm currently going out to quotes for the groundwork/hard landscaping needed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Like i said i love rdf filters and when they are working they do all the work my fear was how long untill they needed replacement of parts and trouble shooting g electronics is not my fote

Ask a Question