starting a pond

Reaction score
Hi All,

new at this starting a pond i already dig out 7 feet by 3feet by 2 feet deep should i make it longer all i purchased was the liner 10x15 45mil with underlayment ..

was thinking about getting the laquna pt-1502 with a max-flo PT8240 pump(1350 GPH) and need ideas on how to build a waterfall let me know if that's a good start ..here are a few photos please somebody help with some ideas..

Attachments

• photo (9).JPG
    photo (9).JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 231
  • photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 234

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and you may want to go deeper than 2 feet .I would or you may have to purchase a pond heater

Reaction score
Maybe I'll dig deeper hope the liner is wide enough .. How about the equipment I'm getting is that good? Thx

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you should have plenty of liner but remember after do not trim it because liner will settle from the wait of the water .I know mine settled over 5 inches just in 3 weeks .Waterfalls you can get plenty of ideas on you tube and DIY network .I just rebuilt one of mine and ran the liner under it so if it ever leaked it would run right back into the pond .I like the max flo pump I just got .Less watts of power .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54044]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54032]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54040]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I also used sump pump hose it was cheaper at 10 dollars
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53329]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53322]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52125]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52124]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52119]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:42776]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:42777]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
good but you will only want a couple of goldfish because they have lots of babies .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Syne89

I'd make it as deep,as long and as wide as I could using the liner that you bought of course and don't ever cut the excess off the liner like sissy suggested. Just fold it under so in case you ever need to make adjustments you'll have it there to use. I like Laguna's pumps. I don't have one but the next one I get is gonna be one cuz I hear they work great and save lots on energy. Don't know about the filter. If you want to hide your liner so the water covers it up to the brim make a little shelf a few inch's deep and put rocks rocks on it and they top it off on the upper edge w/ more rocks.

IMG_3798.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Funny jw I put the watt tester on my luguna and paper say it use 115 watts well it is using 145 watts .My pump from harbor freight uses 150 watts .I emailed laguna the pics of the wattage tester readings to see if something could be wrong with it .I have had it hooked up for 2 weeks now and for some reason I noticed 2 times I went out and it was not running last night and pulled it today to see if it is clogged but it wasn't .Last night by the time I went down to see what was going on it came back on .I wonder if it is faulty or if it maybe back flushes itself when the inlet gets clogged .I did not notice it before last night but did not pay much attention either .I am going to watch it again tonight.It does pump out more water than what it says though .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't know sissy as I don't have a Laguna, just heard they were supposed to be efficient and a good pump. I think HARO knows more about them. Maybe ask him.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I thought so too and checked for clogs and pump seemed hotter than it should be .Hot enough to give off steam so i called and told them and pulled the pump and they said they would send me another one .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good deal sissy! If they don't want the old one back maybe you could use it for parts if you ever need any in the distant future?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They did not say and will wait to see when new pump comes to see if they include a return label .I even sent them of a pic with the steam coming off the pump .It was so hot you could not touch it after opening the casing

Ask a Question