Sterlet Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased this little guy yesterday from my local shop because I was concerned about him. The pictures are not very good he has a chunk missing from the top of his back which looks like old damage. His fin has a white marking and seems to be oddly shaped. His nose tip is also missing and this is pink and fleshy appearance. He is eating fine. Swimming is a little lop sided but he seems to be doing all of the normal things a Sterlet would. He also has no signs of disease. I have put him in my Goldfish tank as he would be eaten in my pond due to his size. Has anyone got any ideas what may have happened?

Attachments

• received_940122890296781.jpeg
    received_940122890296781.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 38
  • received_785656185829611.jpeg
    received_785656185829611.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
more than likely mishandling or something spooked them and they cut them self . At that age and size adds are against fish to survive thus why mom lays 10's of thousands of eggs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you guys for your help. It's much appreciated. I have put some de-stress in and I hope this gives him a little boost. Thanks again

Meh

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just curious, how'd he turn out?
I'm looking for a Sterlet also, they are difficult to find.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Meh check out predatoryfins, they have albino sterlets there.

Meh

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks jhn, they want 600 bucks for one, way out of my price range. I'm looking for 2 to 4 inch sterlet. More fun to watch them grow!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The little ones don’t ship well, and seem to be abit touchier than the larger ones. Even the little guys when occasionally available seem to go for $100 plus shipping, so not cheap either.

Meh

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did see some going for 65 to 85 bucks for 4 to 5 inch sterlet, but they were out of stock. Forgot which site, they didn't respond to my inquiry.
Local fish shop guy said segrest farms has been out of stock for a long time. I think they are heavily regulated now due to endangered status, so likely I will never get a Sterlet for my pond.
I use to see them all the time when i lived in northern ca, I even kept a few for a couple years in a 240 gallon tank I had. I ended up giving them to fish shop before joining the army. They are a fascinating fish.

Ask a Question