String Algae...yes, another question. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

Attachments

• Eco-toxicity_Assessment_Report-May_2010-Final.pdf
    800.4 KB · Views: 370
  • 7_Wilfrid Laurier review.pdf
    463.4 KB · Views: 930
Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Lisak1 that's interesting. When you put it on your waterfall, do you turn off the waterfall first? I think I might need this. Do you have a link to the website you buy from?

Yup - waterfall off. Sprinkle the powder anywhere you see algae. 20-30 minutes and then turn the water back on.

Here's where we buy it from - I bought the 50 lb bag and it will last me for a loooooooong time!

https://www.soapgoods.com/product_info.php?products_id=1001

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Toxicity tests:
Eco-toxicity_Assessment_Report-May_2010-Final.pdf (page 3 of executive summary, last paragraph)

Bioaccumulation:
7_Wilfrid Laurier review.pdf (table 7 page 29)

In the first link I posted on my previous post, summary paragraph at beginning of paper, it mentions that a white precipitate had accumulated on cells of the bacteria tested. They believe it to be lanthanum phosphate crystals.

Both research papers that you provided links to are most thorough and informative.
A couple of scientific facts need to be emphasized prior to discussion of the potential toxicity of Lanthanum.

1. All Heavy metals are considered toxic a certain levels. Some, like Copper, can reach high toxicity at relatively low levels when compared to other metals such as Iron.
2. All Heavy Metals are bio-accumulates. The rate of bio-accumulation also widely varies among the metals.
3. Toxicity will vary based on water hardness and in some case pH.

In both studies covered in the two (2) papers, Lanthanum chloride was used in its undiluted form, or full-strength, if you will. In commercial Lathanum based Phosphorus binders the LaCl is offered in an already diluted form with plainly stated dosing instructions. Upon application, the LaCl binds with the Phosphorus in the water column usually first because of the stronger ionic attraction forming a stable LaPo4. This Lanthanum is no longer reactive and can not bond with or affect any aquatic organism and settles out of the water column as a precipitate. Again, this is where following the dosing instructions is all important.
Lanthanum Chloride is widely used in both fresh and salt water aquaria and in both small and very large facilities. It has been used for years with no ill-effects to the individual aquatic communities.
Mis-use and/or over use of this or any other water treatment will certainly cause toxicity issues.
I only recommend its use for controlling filamentous algae growth or to reduce the Phosphorus level to below 0.05 mg/L. It should not be used if Phosphorus levels are below 0.05 mg.L. Instead a Phosphorus adsorber, such as Ferric Iron can be used to maintain the lower P levels.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is probably the information Lisak1 was talking about it is quite informative.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...s-in-fish-ponds&highlight=sodium+percarbonate

I just bought 5 lbs of it on Ebay for about $15.00 including shipping
Yup - waterfall off. Sprinkle the powder anywhere you see algae. 20-30 minutes and then turn the water back on.

Here's where we buy it from - I bought the 50 lb bag and it will last me for a loooooooong time!

https://www.soapgoods.com/product_info.php?products_id=1001
Thanks!
Wow, I guess ebay might be the way to go, a bit cheaper than from the website. i'll try this. thanks again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I guess ebay might be the way to go, a bit cheaper than from the website

Well, unless you buy in volume - mine came out to $1.62 per pound (plus shipping). The quoted eBay price is $3 a pound. But not everyone wants 50 pounds of SP all at one time!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well, unless you buy in volume - mine came out to $1.62 per pound (plus shipping). The quoted eBay price is $3 a pound. But not everyone wants 50 pounds of SP all at one time!
I thought that :) but what's different between the one in the website saying its 100% and one on ebay say 99%.... Does that even matter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
what's different between the one in the website saying its 100% and one on ebay say 99%.... Does that even matter

No clue. I wonder what the other 1% would be?

And @tbendl - some pool places do recommend it as a replacement for a chlorine based system. But I don't know the cost or availability.

Reaction score
Took me awhile to find the Phos-Out since it looks as though the company that makes it was bought out by someone else. Bough a 32oz. container which should last awhile. If it doesn't work, at least I am not out a million bucks. If it doesn't work, off to try the next solution.

Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have certainly purchased things on Ebay, but as I look at it, the health of my fish is most important. I'm not sure I trust Ebay sellers to provide the same product one might get from more reputable suppliers. This is especially true if the price is cheaper than other places. Just my .02...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
green water can be treated with things like clarifier or flocculent or you can use koi clay which is what I use .I turn off the pumps and leave the aerator going .It turns the water cloudy and binds the algae to be removed to the filter and is also great for fish health .It is just bentonite clay like in plain kitty litter but is finer .Also great for your skin in facial masks

Ask a Question