Substrate For Preformed Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I want to lighten up the black bottom, so fish are easier to see. Choices are aquarium gravel, marble chips, pea gravel or sand. Other then aquarium gravel, can get others at big box store. Which would be the best to use long term ?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember they will give covered in muck and you will be back to the same thing .Nothing is meant to be clean on thhe bottom of the pond .I have seen people here buy those expensive blue preforms so they have clear view and then find that the only way to keep the pond healthy is to let it get covered in muck .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As we've already stated in another thread, your fish will be easier to see.....with time. And as @sissy said!!!!! Substrate in a pond isn't necessary and will only make it harder to clean out the muck.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
only miracle is if you had it professionally cleaned every few months and that is stressful for the fish and not cheap .My first pond was a preformed and I had put rocks in the bottom and what a nightmare it turned out to be .I tried to keep them clean but nothing worked

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Rocks or pebbles, on a substrate aren't meant to look or be clean. Substrate is however a great place for beneficial bacteria to grow, which helps water quality itself.
Many people think the substrate must always Look like it came straight out of the bag when its been in water for a while, I have never seen a dirty substrate in my life (unless, someone threw some junk in there unnecessarily or something.) its just apart of the bio diversity in your pond, substrate is also a good place for micro organisms such as Cylops's to live as well as copepods.
"muck" as a previous member stated, is just usually regular fish feces, and waste building up. Other organisms live off this and is again, part of the bio diversity in your pond. You can plant plants in that substrate With the muck as nutrients such as Sagitaria sp. to form a pretty carpet plant in your pond. It also again, helps water quality improve. I strive to have a mulm in my substrate.
Hope this helped @Nyboy
Nate

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I see to many people here that want that clean rock bottom and see the fish what do they get dirty rocks and what do they use to make them clean again ,CHEMICALS

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Chemicals In a pond or any source of water are all unnecessary. Unless its some sort of cycling agent which, even then, is unnecessary as you can just use fish food as a source of ammonia. People use chemicals to often, just like how people go to medicines rather than actually treat the source of the problem.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That I blame on the mass marketing done ,people believe what they see on tv and ads and say I need that or I should use that .I have never eaten meat and don't miss it .No meds. and 63 and soon 64 and no health problems that I can see or been told I have .I take care of 3 acres of property and the house and grocery shopping and cooking .Not saying I could not die tomorrow ;)Things happen .Everything I was born with I still have .We need to look at ponds like we look at streams healthy moving water with plants and aeration .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My post was more about changing color of pond bottom to see fish better. Right now only fish I can see is the all white one.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Substrate isn't your answer then, is it your water quality? do you know if you have algae in the water (free floating unicellular algae?) ? that's most likely what's making it murky.
In that case (if so) do you know your water parameters?
Ammonia
Nitrate
Nitrite
Phosphates
And size of pond?
Any plants in the pond at all? if so you could add Duckweed to (STRICTLY) your filtration system to remove excess nitrogen from the water column and down stock algae levels.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was surprised when I got a cup of water to test how clear it was. I have duck weed, cattail, hornwart and creeping jenny. New pond only 2 weeks old, just added filter this weekend. At work will run water test tonight.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you just added a source of biological filtration that is the source of your algae bloom, there is/was no or little to none beneficial bacteria to eat all your nitrates, or ammonia you currently have.

Ask a Question