Tank upgrade and very lucky Corydoras the catfish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's been cooler this month and I already moved my tropical fish to the inside tank when the water got below 70 F. I couldnt catch my catfish and though they will probably die in the pond.

The days have been around 65-75 but the nights were in the 50s.

Yesterday I was trying my new container bog (fail miserably :cry: water kept over flow and wont go back into the pond fast enough, will have to think of a new design) I saw one of my catfish swimming lazily so I got my net and cought him! YEY - 2 more to go! It's really hard to see them since they are small and dark and my pond is in the shade and mostly liner only but I managed to catch the the other two without fuzz in the next hour.

I had a 12 gallons tank that is way over crowd with new guppy babies and I just added cherry shrimps (gave away my mollies) so I decided I need a bigger tank.

On Saturday after a long search I found a 35 gallons tank with stand for $60 - my kind of price :) It's quite big, took over the room but I got it in there, filled the water and moved the rocks from the 12 gallons to the new one for some bacteria start up then I put an air stone in there since I dont have the filter or the heater yet.

The water in the tank without the heater is 69 degree and the Cories have been in way colder water I feel safe to put them in there before my heater arrive.

LUKCY that I got my cories yesterday as last night the weather dropped to 36 degree!!! They would've died if I didnt get them out yesterday. The filter and heater will arrive on Wednesday so I'll be able to move all my fish and shrimps to the new big tank then :) I'm already love the big tank...

questions - I will have a filter (AquaClear 50 power filter 110V), do I need to add air stone in the tank too? The tank is 36" long so I'm not sure if the filter will be enough to add oxygen in the water. I will have lots of plants though.

- I only have one female guppy with 5 adult males. She's been fine and already had babies twice. Should I add more female from outside so that I maintain various diversity bloodline? I'm planning on getting some more fancy ones but I'm not sure about female.

- I like Molly, but they like to also attack my shrimps, which type of fish can be with guppy and shrimp other than molly?

Bigger tank - more fun!!!!
-A

PS, My husband was apposed to the idea of bigger tank but I told him that more water means less maintenance on his part (while I'm away) - with this set up it should be able to go 3 weeks without doing much, is that right?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Nepen said:
questions - I will have a filter (AquaClear 50 power filter 110V), do I need to add air stone in the tank too?
--- It won't hurt. I'd keep it there.

- I only have one female guppy with 5 adult males. She's been fine and already had babies twice. Should I add more female from outside so that I maintain various diversity bloodline? I'm planning on getting some more fancy ones but I'm not sure about female.
--- You need more females than males. Don't remember what the ratio is, but 5m:1f will get the female hounded to death!

- I like Molly, but they like to also attack my shrimps, which type of fish can be with guppy and shrimp other than molly?
--- Any community fish: tetras, platys, swordtails are what I have. I also have a small pleco and ottos.
Nepen said:
PS, My husband was apposed to the idea of bigger tank but I told him that more water means less maintenance on his part (while I'm away) - with this set up it should be able to go 3 weeks without doing much, is that right?
--- More water means more work. If you have enough plants you should be able to get away with 3 weeks. We're doing 4 weeks now. But test your water after 2 weeks to see.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks John.

I'm hoping not to have the air stone in there as it's very noisy and vibrates a lot :boldblue: I have the smallest one just for the emergency. But if it's needed then I will have to find a new one that wont vibrates lol.

I have the one female for about 2.5 months now. some how in the normal (during pregnancy) the male pretty much left her be. I was worried about her getting chased too but it seems like she's a tough cookie. I saw how the male molly chased the female molly and my guppy doesnt get chased that much... may be she's not pretty enough haha. But I'll probably get more females but now i'll need something that will eat the babies that i'll get!! They wont listen to me when I lectured them about family planning :faint:

I'll try to research those fish, I want smallish ones.. may be this time I'll get just males (if they can tell before selling to me!)

More work! shhh... dont tell my husband that :) I think it'll be more work but less frequent at least.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I don't think you will need one. If you want one, consider getting one that you can adjust the amount of air. You can dial the noise down. Also, if possible put something over the pump. That will cut down on the noise, just not something that will block the air.

Reaction score
I find more water means less work. Sure I'd have to change more water each time but if I'm changing the water once every 3 weeks instead of every week, I'd say that's about one third the work.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
bettasngoldfish said:
The way I look at more water is that it means less frequent water changes
Only if you have the same amount of fish or not overstocked. If you have more fish or it's overstocked and more water, then it's the same.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
bettasngoldfish said:
I put my airpumps for my aquariums on pot holders to help cut down on the noise.
The air intake on my pumps are all at the bottom so I'd be careful that the pot holders don't block the air intakes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks all. Hats what I bought ad tans John for he details, I'll indeed hav more fish.

ESPECIALLY when I just couldn't resisted the lone black/white with red cheeks shubby I found at petsmart!!!!!! I just had to have him. He is now floating in my new tank at 60 f, no heater tll Wednesday.

I'm in trouble. The pond is around 50 f, can I add the shubby in there now? Or should I keep him in my inside tank with the guppies and shrimps. At first that's my plan but then I was afraid he wil eat all the babies and my shrimp.

Ahhh, my weakness gave me trouble again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
And my air pump made loud noise. I'm hoping no to have I use it.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
How big is your shubby?
At around 50F, my pond is now in winter mode. I'm no longer feeding them. I prepared my pond fish by fattening them up in the preceding months so they could last the winter but your new guy, did he get enough feeding to last him through the winter? Does he look healthy? You still have your old tank? You might have to set that one up too for this guy...
Nepen said:
Thanks all. Hats what I bought ad tans John for he details, I'll indeed hav more fish.

ESPECIALLY when I just couldn't resisted the lone black/white with red cheeks shubby I found at petsmart!!!!!! I just had to have him. He is now floating in my new tank at 60 f, no heater tll Wednesday.

I'm in trouble. The pond is around 50 f, can I add the shubby in there now? Or should I keep him in my inside tank with the guppies and shrimps. At first that's my plan but then I was afraid he wil eat all the babies and my shrimp.

Ahhh, my weakness gave me trouble again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ai John, I read that much about the reserve they need to last the winter too. The weather is playing tricks and going back up to 70 f today. But my little guy is like 1-1.5 inches, not fat but looks healthy enough but I doubt he will last the winter in the pond.

So I decided to put him in with the Corys in the new tank that is at 60 f right now without the heater (come Wednesday) he seems to be doing fine and this morning I saw him eating.

The old tank is pretty much sold as soon as I got the guppies out, I'm waiting for the heater for my big one to move them. I guess ill be putting lots and lots of hiding place for my baby guppies and will bring more hornworts in to float for them. And I plan on getting more females so it might be a good thing to have a goldfish for population control a bit. I was tempting to get Molly again, but now with goldfish, may be not...will be way too crowded.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Hi:
Don't sell the old tank! Keep it as a QT or hospital tank!
Nepen said:
The old tank is pretty much sold as soon as I got the guppies out, I'm waiting for the heater for my big one to move them. I guess ill be putting lots and lots of hiding place for my baby guppies and will bring more hornworts in to float for them. And I plan on getting more females so it might be a good thing to have a goldfish for population control a bit. I was tempting to get Molly again, but now with goldfish, may be not...will be way too crowded.

Ask a Question