Temporary artificial surface shade?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
bagsmom. I like your rocks and waterfall too. I dug a new pond last fall and was waiting until this year to finish it off. I may copy a few of your ideas. If things warm up a little you can try adding water hyacinths and water lettuces. They will multiiply very fast if there is a lot of algae and good water movement. When I first stated ponding I bought some fake floating flowers and that worked well until the real ones started up. It sounds like your pond is deep enough that you don't need to provide caves and that sort of thing unless you have a big preditor problem.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Regarding the "floating discs," for pond shade. After doing that for a few weeks it occurred to me that, yes, they were providing shade, but they were also preventing surface exchange of air -- IOW, I was actually reducing the amt. of surface area available. So that idea was trashed. But I do think that the floating island idea is a good one. I ended up erecting some shade sails over the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
as u want temp , i dono if u have banana trees in ur area , if u float the leaf on top it looks very natural and they stay green for a month or so , you can see if any slimier leaves or any palms , i have used thermopol board too you can cut them round like lily and spray them green or create holes in it to plant small plants in them , i once made small round island from thermopol and then made small hole between and planted umbrela cypres a semi submerged plant in it , its roots went down in water and leaves stayed on top

Ask a Question