Termination strip

Reaction score
Country
United States
Still in early stages of design and have a million questions...but trying to exhaust my research before burdening the group.
There's a few threads and YouTube videos on termination bars/strips but not quite addressing the details. I'm looking at a 3' underground and 2' above ground pond in a snowman/figure 8 shape with cinder blocks making up the above ground wall. I thought about softening the edges of the cinder block and wrapping the liner over the edge with cap stones on top. But that would interfere with adhering the capstones. I saw a post that mentioned cutting the stones to relieve the termination strip. That makes me think the strip is on top of the wall but if the wall isn't straight, my head hurts to think of making a strip that matches the contour of the wall.
I guess if the strip is on the inside of the wall but flush to the bottom of the cap, it doesn't impact the water level.
999,999 questions left but I'll try to nail this one down first. Thanks all!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
TERMINATION STRIPS are one way to end the liner but like any vertical you'll want to leave slack at the bottom so if there is any settling it has so material to take instead of stretching the liner.
I DONT HAVE A Termination strip on my raised bog i draped the liner up over the cap and then down the outside to the ground . then covered with fabric.

You can USE THE STRIP ON TOP I DON'T THINK YOUR WALLS ARE GOING TO BE AS SHARP A ROUND AS YOU MAY THINK. YOU CAN ALWAYS USE 3 FOOT LONG STRIPS . YOU CAN ALWAYS cut the cinderblock to recess the strip. What do you plan to use for cap? The strip on top can be terminated close to the edge then a good 3/4 inch joint of mortar can easily cover the strip and bond to the block.

yes you can use the strip on the vertical above the water line but i would install a bead of caulking to try and seal the water from getting past the strip from fish splashing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, definitely hear you on leaving slack in the liner/underlayment/overlay. I was planning to leave a heavy 3-4" fold a couple feet under the water line.
Given the above ground portion, I was leaning towards a semi-formal design. So the cap was going to be 12x16 retaining wall cap (2 inches overhang to the outside and 2 inches overhang on the inside to hide the liner).
Now I do have some of the wall that have a border bog to the outside. For that I was just going to wrap the liner over the wall and foam some flat rocks (with gaps) on top since I need the water to pass through and no one would really be leaning or stowing on those (I don't expect anyone to stand in the bog except me).
The more I think about it... I'm thinking of of taking the liner to an inch and a half higher than the wall and putting the termination strip on the vertical wall, flush with the top (wall-sealant-liner-sealant-term strip)...screwing the term strip into the inside of the wall. Then the cap would go on top with the liner I get it but folded in top. Does that sound like it would work?
A picture would probably help...let's see if I can manage that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
20230531_225213.jpg
So I draw like an adult that spends all day at a computer but write like a child...
Anyway, I hope this conveys my thought.
The wall is 8" wide, the cap is 12", overhanging both sides by 2". The liner would wrap to the inside of the pond with the term strip just under the cap.
The distance between the water level and cap is still TBD based on the water in motion but ideally as high as possible without making a mess.
Am I on the right track?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, definitely hear you on leaving slack in the liner/underlayment/overlay. I was planning to leave a heavy 3-4" fold a couple feet under the water line.
Given the above ground portion, I was leaning towards a semi-formal design. So the cap was going to be 12x16 retaining wall cap (2 inches overhang to the outside and 2 inches overhang on the inside to hide the liner).
Now I do have some of the wall that have a border bog to the outside. For that I was just going to wrap the liner over the wall and foam some flat rocks (with gaps) on top since I need the water to pass through and no one would really be leaning or stowing on those (I don't expect anyone to stand in the bog except me).
The more I think about it... I'm thinking of of taking the liner to an inch and a half higher than the wall and putting the termination strip on the vertical wall, flush with the top (wall-sealant-liner-sealant-term strip)...screwing the term strip into the inside of the wall. Then the cap would go on top with the liner I get it but folded in top. Does that sound like it would work?
A picture would probably help...let's see if I can manage that.
if you bring the liner up on top of the wall you don't need the termination on the side . i would secure the rubber AND FABRIC with termination on top under the cap. if it makes it easier do two rows ONE ON EACH SIDE to balance it out. Then SET YOUR MORTAR BED ONTOP OF EVERYTHING the mortar will grab onto the termination strips and the fabric it will not fail . OR YOU COULD DO A MAHOGANY CAP ETC

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks...that all makes sense and probably way easier than what I was planning.
I never considered a wood cap...I'll have to research that

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
MAHOGANY , IPE OR CEDAR ok and TEAK "BIG BUCKS" would be the only woods id use.

Also the top of the block needs it's edges rounded so it doesn't cut the liner

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i should add Cyprus to that list . redwood will do well with the water but is sooooo soft.

Ask a Question