Thats all we needed a leak on the Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It dont rain when it pours weve been loosing water in the pond for two days now and its only now I have traced it , at the bottom of the first vortex there is a rubber seal which has some how come loose perhaps when I cleaned it I dont know but I had not noticed a loss in water level to indicate that we have a leak in the system ..
So now we have a leak like a tap at the bottom of the filter and I cant get in to fix it , it needs a fitter person not a person riddled with arthritis .
Nor can anyone else tonight it'll have to be a pour and pour pouring the water in as fast as it exits the seal and just hope it holds together.
It may even be a split seal which would complicate things all the more , so its pond watch for me tonight until we can get help in th morning .
Thnk god for the dechlorinator unit .

Dave

Reaction score
Oh no! Sorry to hear this. Sounds like a nightmare. Hopefully someone will arrive bright and early to help you. Good luck! Wish we lived closer, would be happy to send my handy hubby over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just thinking it may be an idea to isolate the pond and that filter from the rest of the system over night keeping the filters alive isnt a problem thy will tick over as normal .
At least the main body of water should it part company will be kept in the pond and we would only loose the vortex and and first filter should they empty .
At least that way I can get a bit of shut eye .

Dave

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm just thinking it may be an idea to isolate the pond and that filter from the rest of the system over night keeping the filters alive isnt a problem thy will tick over as normal .
At least the main body of water should it part company will be kept in the pond and we would only loose the vortex and and first filter should they empty .
At least that way I can get a bit of shut eye .

Dave
I was wondering if you could do something like that.....by-pass that section.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sorry to hear about your problems, like Priscilla said, if you were close, I'd be happy to lend a hand, I hope you get everything straightened out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanx cryle so far we are returning water to the pond at the rate its pouring out hopefully the first aid will arrive in the morning and we'll get things fixed

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry to hear Dave and that is the main reason for my filters being built the way they are .I know I am getting older and trying to make it as easy as possible for me to be able to handle myself with everything else I have to do .Let's hope your help gets there so you can get it fixed .Shame you did not have some one in the neighborhood that you could show them what to do and they could help you

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Darn it Dave that would not be something I would want to deal with and hope you get the help you need tomorrow.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Dave, have you got helped lined up for in the morning? I can sure understand what your going through. On our filter set-up I have one union I can't reach. My big ole self put it in before all the other pipe work and shower and now it's to tight for my big butt and I can't bend around to get it tight or loose. Thankfully I only had to take it apart once and one of the younger guys helped me then. Good luck buddy. Pulling for you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave, have you got helped lined up for in the morning? I can sure understand what your going through. On our filter set-up I have one union I can't reach. My big ole self put it in before all the other pipe work and shower and now it's to tight for my big butt and I can't bend around to get it tight or loose. Thankfully I only had to take it apart once and one of the younger guys helped me then. Good luck buddy. Pulling for you!
Larkin help is arriving at 10:30 am BST this morning Brian or Health officer for our section is coming over from the club :happy:.
I've worked out a way of doing this without getting down between the filters without having to be down there :cool:
My logic say's that if we to place a ladder with a plank over the opening to the filter housing we could do it.
This should give us the reach to get too the seal and we should hopefully be able to fix it as it is:cool:
However if it has moved then we'll have to manouver it back to its original footing.
If thats the case then I moved it off centre whilst taking out the jap matting to clean it. :cry:
Question on this senareo though is why did it take over two weeks to leak :confused:

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Larkin help is arriving at 10:30 am BST this morning Brian or Health officer for our section is coming over from the club :happy:.
I've worked out a way of doing this without getting down between the filters without having to be down there :cool:
My logic say's that if we to place a ladder with a plank over the opening to the filter housing we could do it.
This should give us the reach to get too the seal and we should hopefully be able to fix it as it is:cool:
However if it has moved then we'll have to manouver it back to its original footing.
If thats the case then I moved it off centre whilst taking out the jap matting to clean it. :cry:
Question on this senareo though is why did it take over two weeks to leak :confused:

Dave
Update It gets worse from here on it :( , The problem it now seem's has been caused this ourselves, changing the overflow system from one we couldnt control to one we can now control being the start of the problem.
It seems in doing so weve changed the dynamics of weight of water in the system and on all the filters leading to a failure in a seal .
Now comes the second part of the equasion , this year its been hot weve seen a thermometer burst in the filter housing at 50c which is sort of hot , hot
So it appears one of the filters has bowed by about an inch under the extra weight of the water going through the system in doing so it has pulled the seal of the pipe leaving the vortex in the bend of pipe just prior to the rubber joining seal. This was where the water was leaking from and would explain why we suddenly started loosing water like we did and when we did .
Brian has removed, then refitted the pipe on a temperary basis giving us time to get cut and then fit a slightly longer piece to make up for the drop.
However n the long run and in reality, " we need to rip the entire area apart and start again in the spring as its too late in the season to start messing about like that".
We'll have to nurse it through the winter months and do it in the spring in the mean time I need to refill one entire filter as well as the upper pond with the water we lost whilst the repair was being done
The filter housing was an experiment anyway so we can always start again possibly with the nexus as the new filter .

Dave

Ask a Question