The big dig...

Reaction score
Started the big dig. Aiming for a 12x12x4 main pond with a 6ft bog area and waterfall.

Here is the spot I started with.

image.jpg

Pond will be kidney shaped with the bog at approx 9 o'clock, waterfall at 1 o'clock and the skimmer at 6. Adding a bottom drain also.

Here is a pic with my saviour, my hubby's demo hammer. Very rocky ground.

image.jpg

Here you can get a view of the layout. The bog edge will be in front of the log. Still need to dig the bog a tad deeper and add a berm. Digging to depth of 1st shelf now, 6-8".
image.jpg

This is to depth of approx 2ft.

image.jpg

Bane of my existence...you can see the boulder I am working on now in the hole by the pick axe. Trying to save bigger rocks for rock edge and covering berm. If it gets too big, I will just have to jackhammer it to pieces. Don't want to push my outer edge out too far.

image.jpg

And as of today. Started the digging to the 3ft mark. This has been about 3 weeks of digging after work and when it isn't 100 degrees outside. Prefer not to get heatstroke!

image.jpg

And here is where it all started...
image.jpg

Thanks for looking! I'll add updates about once a week or if I make a lot of progress closer to the end of the build. I know I will have questions as I go and look forward to posting for advice.

-Star1270

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wonderful! And look at all the rocks you are pulling out of the hole you can use for edging! Yay!

Keep us updated, I love it and love the yard!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's awesome work -- are you doing it all yourself or do you have other human helpers? It's going to be very nice when completed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Now THAT is an upgrade!!! Wonderful progress -- It is going to look GREAT! Can't wait to see your new paradise evolve!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, love the upgrade! We all started out with something small, it seems, and then went BIG! I, too, could not handle the wheelbarrow of dirt hauling, so I used my tractor and loader scoop. You are lucky to have a teenager to do that for you. Keep using him, instead of your own back. :) Loving watching your paradise emerge. Will be wonderful!!! Oh, and I am SUPER impressed you are using a jack hammer! I can see where it is necessary, but sure seems like a lot of hard work. There is an end in sight, you are making wonderful progress.

Reaction score
Not much digging got done last week since it has been pretty rainy every day after work here in NV. I did find a couple good deals on CL. I now have a savio filterskimmer, savio livingponds waterfall, & black flexipipe sitting in my backyard. Mom in law gave me retaining wall blocks that she no longer wants that I can use as the back of my waterfall hill. Have aerated bottom drain, air pump, and bottom drain pipe for waterfall on order.

Now my next big purchase is coming up and where I need your input. Have any of you seen any difference in the 3 main liner (45mil) brands I am finding? Firestone, Patriot, and Anjon. I see all 3 brands on Amazon/EBay, etc.

Also wondering if any of you have any experience with Pondmaster pumps. Looking at a hy drive 5100 model 20360.

Thanks in advance for any input you wonderful ponders can provide!

-Star1270

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
The liner I used was EPDM 45 mil, not sure but think it was Firestone brand. Not sure if any of them make a difference, though.
Not familiar with Pondmaster pumps. I have Laguna MaxFlow, and love them. No problems and have had the pumps running 24/7 for 3 and 4 years in my ponds.
Sounds like you have everything coming together with your mechanics. Will be fun to put it all together when are able to get back into your yard. It was a VERY wet June here, 4 times the normal average amount of rain! I fear the rain will completely stop now ....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure if you have checked when looking at pumps but look at ones that are energy efficient .I bought laguna for that very reason .My liner is firestone epdm but if they are 45 mil epdm it does not matter the name .You sure are getting a lot of work done

Ask a Question