The bounty of bog plants so far this year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The first couple of years I allowed water above the gravel in the bog and had so much string algae that I could barely see the gravel, so this year the water is just below the surface (sorry frogs). I've been pleased to see how many plants have survived the winter - this was the first for the carnivorous plants and all seem happy. I have 3 types of pitchers, a sundew and a flytrap planted in peat. In the gravel I have 2 iris' with their first buds, one elephant ear, White Ginger, Luna swirl hibiscus, Mexican petunia, 7 hostas, corkscrew rush and a couple other things I can't think of at the moment.
Seems like the calla's didn't enjoy the bog and not all the hosta's did either so they found new homes. I'm loving having the bog as an experiment to try different plants. Kind of fun that the pitcher plant was the first bloom this year.

P1140412.JPG

20240418_182407.jpg
P1140403.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good, way more organized than mine

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks great! What is your water like in there? I thought Carnivorous plants would only grow in pure water with absolutely no minerals - that you'd basically have to keep them in only water made from reverse osmosis or something. I'd love to get some carnies in my bog when it's done but I thought I couldn't because my water is too hard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Looks great! What is your water like in there? I thought Carnivorous plants would only grow in pure water with absolutely no minerals - that you'd basically have to keep them in only water made from reverse osmosis or something. I'd love to get some carnies in my bog when it's done but I thought I couldn't because my water is too hard.
You assume that I check water? LMAO. I know that they like acid conditions, so I planted them in peat. Otherwise no other considerations. They are indigenous to this area so I figured it was worth a try. The Cutthroat is very vigorous - I can almost watch it growing! I got it from a nearby nursery that only carries native stuff - they have a bog in front of their store and they told me that they put together the bog in the TN Arboretum. Good folks: https://www.tennesseenaturescapes.com/
This was their bog last year:

Attachments

• 20230812_150224.jpg
    20230812_150224.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Country
United States
ah, maybe that's why I was thinking I couldn't have them - Utah water is highly Alkaline. Do you have to refresh the peat every so often to keep it acidic?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
ah, maybe that's why I was thinking I couldn't have them - Utah water is highly Alkaline. Do you have to refresh the peat every so often to keep it acidic?
Again, you give me too much credit :) I have only had them 2 years and if they were to die, I might then refresh the peat :LOL: I'm sorry I'm not very helpful to you, I'm just not deeply committed to the plants. So far they appear to be robust and happy and quite easy to grow, so that's good enough for me :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
The first couple of years I allowed water above the gravel in the bog and had so much string algae that I could barely see the gravel, so this year the water is just below the surface (sorry frogs). I've been pleased to see how many plants have survived the winter - this was the first for the carnivorous plants and all seem happy. I have 3 types of pitchers, a sundew and a flytrap planted in peat. In the gravel I have 2 iris' with their first buds, one elephant ear, White Ginger, Luna swirl hibiscus, Mexican petunia, 7 hostas, corkscrew rush and a couple other things I can't think of at the moment.
Seems like the calla's didn't enjoy the bog and not all the hosta's did either so they found new homes. I'm loving having the bog as an experiment to try different plants. Kind of fun that the pitcher plant was the first bloom this year.

View attachment 162779

View attachment 162777View attachment 162778
Interesting that you had that string algae issue with standing water, I've got a couple of inches of standing water. For a month or so it was filled with algae, but then in one half algae just started dropping to the bottom, now that half is clear but there's still algae in the bog, just not a lot. But my bog gets 3-4hrs of sun, in full sun I imagine they have the perfect conditions and they can compete with plants, in mine plants seem to be winning the battle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Interesting that you had that string algae issue with standing water, I've got a couple of inches of standing water. For a month or so it was filled with algae, but then in one half algae just started dropping to the bottom, now that half is clear but there's still algae in the bog, just not a lot. But my bog gets 3-4hrs of sun, in full sun I imagine they have the perfect conditions and they can compete with plants, in mine plants seem to be winning the battle.
Glad your plants are doing it right. My bog had around 1-2 inches of water in spots and it was a dreadful mess. I expect it to be much less so now that there's no water above the gravel :) We get 6+ hours of sun daily.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Glad your plants are doing it right. My bog had around 1-2 inches of water in spots and it was a dreadful mess. I expect it to be much less so now that there's no water above the gravel :) We get 6+ hours of sun daily.
Its definitely the plants that are just sucking up nutrients. While the in pond plant grow fine, nothing grows as well as it does in the bog, can't even imagine what it'll be like with constant 30-40c degree weather, these grasses and Irises love it I'm guessing. I just added one reed "Phragmites australis variegatus", bog is right on the edge of tree's shade so I can very well do just about any plant. Think I want to try adding a marsh marigold for its blooms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Two years ago I planted these two Louisiana Iris's. Today my patience paid off as they both bloomed for the first time 💐
The red is "Ann Chowning" and I've misplaced the name of the second. I got them on Ebay.

Attachments

• P1160755.JPG
    P1160755.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 3
  • P1160768.JPG
    P1160768.JPG
    258 KB · Views: 3

Ask a Question