Too much Moss

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Yes you read that right, too much Moss. Have any of you had too much moss in waterfall/pond. I’ve got a nice waterfall that goes into my pond. But I feel I’ve got too much moss, I cleaned off moss from my waterfall, the rocks and the sides of waterfall. I like the look of moss but it’s like an infestation of moss. Any ideas of controlling the moss other than manually removing it?
Just asking

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes you read that right, too much Moss. Have any of you had too much moss in waterfall/pond. I’ve got a nice waterfall that goes into my pond. But I feel I’ve got too much moss, I cleaned off moss from my waterfall, the rocks and the sides of waterfall. I like the look of moss but it’s like an infestation of moss. Any ideas of controlling the moss other than manually removing it?
Just asking
Is this actual MOSS, as in the stuff that grows on rocks & surfaces outside the pond, but where it's damp? OR are you talking about the heavy, thick 'mossy' type of blanket algae that grows IN the streams & along surfaces where the water actually flows?

If it's the former, I've never had real moss build up or cover more area than I wanted it to. Quite the opposite, really. If it's the latter, then I get that as well, and simply remove it by hand when it builds up thicker than I want it to be (it will get to the point of redirecting the flow of water in the falls) I believe some people might use hydrogen peroxide on it? But I've never personally done that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Just asking
Pictures to follow, thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
If you are talking about actual moss, I like to carefully move and transplant it when it gets too overgrown. All my moss in the front yard just showed up and I have moved bits of it here and there -- it's starting to really fill in out back as well. When it grows so much that it impedes the flow of the waterfalls, I just clear a little. It does a wonderful job of filtering the water, though. And salamanders love to live in it! I am going to add some pictures to my pond thread today. It shows the moss really well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
This is the moss that just showed up naturally in my front yard pond.
IMG_1184.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It looks wonderful. And very similar to what we have everywhere in E. TN. I guess you'd just have to peel some off when it gets too dense. I'm not sure, does anything eat it?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm with yea @j.w I absolutely love the moss, ferns, mushrooms, wildlife, trees, dirt, fresh water, and the salt, the seals , whales. Dolphins, love it all out there the only problem is the people who are destroying your area. From one border to the other.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm with yea @j.w I absolutely love the moss, ferns, mushrooms, wildlife, trees, dirt, fresh water, and the salt, the seals , whales. Dolphins, love it all out there the only problem is the people who are destroying your area. From one border to the other.
I agree w/ya on the area going down the tubes! Glad it is at least staying south of us in the Seattle area's and around it. Out here up north we are still pretty calm and peaceful in our rural area but I can see the creeping coming in more and more according to my crime reports I receive by email each day :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Just asking

maybe it’s not too much, it’s all natural

Attachments

• IMG_1433.jpeg
    IMG_1433.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1432.jpeg
    IMG_1432.jpeg
    370.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1431.jpeg
    IMG_1431.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 29