Two month pond transformation of pond abandoned for ten years

Reaction score
Country
United States
Two months ago I emailed management to work on the pond in my building. I had *no* knowledge of ponds. Nothing. Zilch. The pond was abandoned ten years ago. A stagnant green puddle with fish somehow surviving. Pulled a ton of ivy (much of it poison), fixed the broken check valve, cleaned out the skimmer and waterfall basin, resealed the skimmer face, repaired the waterfall leak (1/4" gap between the line from the pump and the waterfall inlet), dug up the old pond lights opened them cleaned them and resealed them, added matala filters, replaced missing net and pre-filter in the skimmer, added 4 air stones, a ton of plants, did many partial water changes. It was a lot of work and some of it was absolutely disgusting! Most recently I've added an inverted aquarium. There are about 25 goldfish in there and they seem happy and healthy! If I put my hand in the water they all come over and nibble on my fingers. I'll post a few pics here but if you'd like to see more, here is the google drive link: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1-IX2t-kJWwUGiQ-AlNaEWq4NYe_xo70n

I did not do a full water change, no UV, no power washing, no chemicals - just plants, filters, and patience! There is no ammonia and no nitrite.

Attachments

• Old Pond 3.jpg
    Old Pond 3.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Old Pond 1.jpg
    Old Pond 1.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Inverted Aquarium full view.jpg
    Inverted Aquarium full view.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Night Lights.jpg
    Night Lights.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 63

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Great job! I imagine the other residents appreciate your efforts too.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Wow! Your hard work and patience really paid off! What a great looking pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Two months ago I emailed management to work on the pond in my building. I had *no* knowledge of ponds. Nothing. Zilch. The pond was abandoned ten years ago. A stagnant green puddle with fish somehow surviving. Pulled a ton of ivy (much of it poison), fixed the broken check valve, cleaned out the skimmer and waterfall basin, resealed the skimmer face, repaired the waterfall leak (1/4" gap between the line from the pump and the waterfall inlet), dug up the old pond lights opened them cleaned them and resealed them, added matala filters, replaced missing net and pre-filter in the skimmer, added 4 air stones, a ton of plants, did many partial water changes. It was a lot of work and some of it was absolutely disgusting! Most recently I've added an inverted aquarium. There are about 25 goldfish in there and they seem happy and healthy! If I put my hand in the water they all come over and nibble on my fingers. I'll post a few pics here but if you'd like to see more, here is the google drive link: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1-IX2t-kJWwUGiQ-AlNaEWq4NYe_xo70n

I did not do a full water change, no UV, no power washing, no chemicals - just plants, filters, and patience! There is no ammonia and no nitrite.
Such a great transformation! I'm sure the residents will enjoy it -- the fishies too! Really nice job :)

Ask a Question