Urgent help needed with new fish in hospital tank

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yesterday I put 2 new fish about 9"-11" in my 29gl hospital tank, to be treated for symptoms of possible gill flukes.
I'm using API General Cure (I know I know) and it says to use 1 pocket x 10gls and repeat in 48hurs...I added the first dose yesterday but today, the ammonia level is 1.0 and I'm thinking I need to take action, so what do I do???

Do I change 10gls of water and add another pocket of meds?
Do I add ammolock?
Do I change the water without adding additional meds?

I'm not feeding the fish at all, I have 2 air stones and a filter obviously with no carbon in it, can anyone please tell me how to make it through the whole treatment (I'm suppose to repeat treatment 48hrs after first dose and then wait an additional 48hrs before changing water and adding carbon) how can I deal with the rising ammonia?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
what i can think of is to change half or full water and add new dose

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Hang a mesh bag containing 2 cups of zeolite inside the hospital tank, monitor ammonia levels daily.
but should read 1st on med , some meds say that it should not be used with other chemicals or salt

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Zeolite will adsorb ammonia, heavy metals and some DOC's, plus you can monitor ammonia levels when using zeolite.
A product like ammolock converts ammonia into ammonium, but because our hobby test kits only read total ammonia, you never really know the level of the more toxic ammonia.
Ammonia poisoning is not reversible, so it's important to get the ammonia level down asap.

I'm not familiar with any possible reactions with API General Cure and ammolock, so that's why I recommend zeolite only.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks guys!
I needed to act fast, so I ended up changing 20gls (out of the 30) of water and adding new dose (2 pockets)
tomorrow I'll test for ammonia (it'll be high no doubt) and like Usman suggested, I plan on changing more water before adding the meds

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks guys!
I needed to act fast, so I ended up changing 20gls (out of the 30) of water and adding new dose (2 pockets)
tomorrow I'll test for ammonia (it'll be high no doubt) and like Usman suggested, I plan on changing more water before adding the meds
Unless you have a cycled tank, the ammonia level is going to continue to be a problem and it seems that all you'd be doing is constant water changes -- never reaching a therapeutic level of the meds. Does the treatment call for a water change after X number of days? I would say get a larger hospital tank AND add something to reduce the ammonia level.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You would have been far better using a fluke treatment like kusuri Fluke M , sdly I cannot comment on the treatmnt you are now using as I've never heard of it and thus cannot help , may I hover ask how you came to the diagnoses of gill or body flukes please ?

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know some may not agree with this but I would recommend 100% water change (matching temperature as closely as possible) and re-dose medication. I have treated my own bettas and goldfish like this in the past (type of treatment is called bucket to bucket method) this would be basically the same idea just in a larger amount of water.

Prime would be a good choice of water conditioner that will also take care of ammonia in cases like this

This explains in more detail about bucket to bucket or tub to tub as she calls it http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/disease/treatment/trtmnt.htm#TUB_TO_TUB

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You would have been far better using a fluke treatment like kusuri Fluke M , sdly I cannot comment on the treatmnt you are now using as I've never heard of it and thus cannot help , may I hover ask how you came to the diagnoses of gill or body flukes please ?

Dave
I'm aware that only with a scrape under a microscope one can make such diagnoses, but the irritated gills and behavior of the fish suggested that's what the problem was
this is the product I've used, it requires 2 treatments 48 hurs apart

http://www.valuepetsupplies.com/api...-x-10ct.html?gclid=CIjXzaPa-84CFYI0aQod_vwJ_g

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know some may not agree with this but I would recommend 100% water change (matching temperature as closely as possible) and re-dose medication. I have treated my own bettas and goldfish like this in the past (type of treatment is called bucket to bucket method) this would be basically the same idea just in a larger amount of water.

Prime would be a good choice of water conditioner that will also take care of ammonia in cases like this

This explains in more detail about bucket to bucket or tub to tub as she calls it http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/disease/treatment/trtmnt.htm#TUB_TO_TUB
This is exactly what I ended up doing and the fish seem to be doing good! :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm aware that only with a scrape under a microscope one can make such diagnoses, but the irritated gills and behavior of the fish suggested that's what the problem was
this is the product I've used, it requires 2 treatments 48 hurs apart

http://www.valuepetsupplies.com/api...-x-10ct.html?gclid=CIjXzaPa-84CFYI0aQod_vwJ_g
What kind of behavior? How were they acting? What are the water parameters in your pond? And if you have gill flukes shouldn't the whole pond be treated? More information, please, as blindly treating based on "what they look like" may not be best for the fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for wanting to help guys, but the treatment I chose or even the reason why I chose to treat these fish is irrelevant, I was asking for help with keeping the ammonia level down during treatment (any treatments) in a hospital tank not whether or not I should administrate treatment :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Unless you have a cycled tank, the ammonia level is going to continue to be a problem and it seems that all you'd be doing is constant water changes -- never reaching a therapeutic level of the meds. Does the treatment call for a water change after X number of days? I would say get a larger hospital tank AND add something to reduce the ammonia level.
nah how can cycle and med go togeather , most of the treatments will kill friendly bacteria or dye any living org or fungus .
i think med dose also fades after a day from light or other environmental factors thats why new dose is added , not to increase intensity , the effect is taken by fish in one day then we add new dose , its not that we need 3 times concentrated med on 3rd day rther we want fresh med each day . unless its salt or similer chemical that adds on and does not fadeaway.

Ask a Question