Want more algae!!!

Reaction score
While everyone else is trying to get rid of algae I really want more for a future fry tank. 50 gallons of my pond water, plenty of air and a grow light is what I have put in this new hatch tank. Can I add anything else to help with the process of growing more algae? Also as stupid as this question seem, can I run my skippy filter while I am trying to get more growth? I have a small pump covered with a sponge inside a basket covered with a fine net to keep future eggs from being sucked up. Please advise as I am really confused by things I read outside of this forum and I don't trust what I read. You guys and gals have really been a great help and as always thanks!

Reaction score
Golden rule to hinder algae growth in tanks is to keep them away from sunlight, so if you want to promote algae growth, place the tank where it gets direct sunlight.

Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on running my pumps while I am trying for more algea?

Used to run my filtration constantly in my tanks and algae would grow still. Would have to clean the glass on the tanks that got direct sunlight in the past at least once a week even with algae eating fish such as Plecostomus sp. and smaller algae eaters.

Reaction score
Thanks VanDiesil I am working my self into a frenzy getting several hatch ready... let hope the full moon on the 15th does the trick.;);)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I think a small amount of fish food (like 1 or 2 pieces) left in the water will also provide food for the algae to grow. Running the pumps will probably help promote the growth as well... When it starts warming up here the first place I see algae growing is on the face of my waterfalls, right in the heaviest flow of water. I actually have a toilet brush I use just for scrubbing the algae off the waterfall each Spring because it grows so heavy there.

Reaction score
It will not be easy getting algae to grow in a fry tank because there will not be much food in there for the algae to eat. Adding air and running a Skippy would reduce it even further.

Ask a Question