Water Hyacinth Tip

Reaction score
I know its a bit late in the season for most of you, but after many failures with the water hyacinth, I decided to try something new after a tip from the guy who keeps giving to them to me.

I planted them! Yup! Its a bit complicated, but those of you that have been following the "sissy Sock" convo, will understand. I made a Sissy Sock - basically I sewed a pocket out of some screen and fishing line. I hung the 'sock/pocket' over the edge of the pond, secured by a heavy rock to support the weight of soil. I put soil in it, floated some hyacinths over it, the roots went into the soil. Life changed! They bloom almost every day now, BIG TALL blooms.

That's my tip. I know they are suppose to float and clean the water like no bodies business, they are suppose to be hard to kill, invasive ....... yet thread after thread on here people are asking for help with the water hyacinths. Hopefully this will help. They do much better with the roots anchored. The place I get them from is a natural pond, shallow with a dirt bottom, the roots are in the dirt.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is my pocket system. Also on the plus side, all the plants are hiding my liner. @tbendl

Let me know if anyone has any questions. I have 5 blooms today!

screen.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Neat idea and I want to see it in working action. I thought those plants spread like crazy so won't they jump out or do you care if they do that?

Reaction score
Its seems (and I'm still in the early stages here), that once the 'mother plant' has its roots in soil/rocks whatever, it sends out the shoots and the shoots don't seem to care. But we will see. I will post a picture of all my blooms.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That is awesome Priscilla! I bet you could have some floating and some planted if you wanted. Even switch them up.
Let's see some pictures of it planted!! :)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Yes, they do much better if the roots can touch soil or mulm at the bottom of the pond. I believe they may pick up a little 'something extra' from the soil. The best crop of WH I have EVER had was grown in a home-made filter with only about 6" of water in the top. Started with 3 plants, and litterally tossed out three WHEELBARROW loads over the course of the summer! And they bloomed constantly!
John

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
when I had them in my filter (waterfall basin) they grew outside the filter hanging in midair, had no roots, feeding thru the tubule.

Ask a Question