Waterlilies in natural ponds

Reaction score
We have 3 natural ponds..maybe 2 acres total..2 of them are cypress ponds and one I just call a farm pond. The Cypress ponds are clearer and the farm pond is usually a hot mess lol. Cypress help filter water. The first largest cypress pond has a natural spring so when we get a lot of rain, it flows over to the farm pond through a little channel.

I want to put some waterlilies out there. There is shallower areas around the bank. The center of the cypress ponds are about 10ft deep. The farm pond is deeper but not sure by how much.

There are ducks and turtles out there so I'm guessing I would probably have to plant a pot then wrap it in chicken wire somewhere shallower?

I have a lot of experience growing water lilies and lotus in patio preformed ponds and large pots etc. We bought this property a few yrs ago and I have no experience with natural ponds or how to plant stuff in it without wildlife destroying it lol.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have natural ponds in our neighborhood that are full of fish, ducks and geese. The water lilies we've planted in them grow just fine. The trick is to get them started and then let nature take Her course.

We used net bags - like you would buy oranges or onions in from the store - and put big clumps of lily tuber inside each one, added a few rocks and then tied it closed. We threw those in the pond in an area where we hoped the depth was correct - some lilies prefer it deeper than others. Our ponds are full of silt on the bottom so those bags sunk very quickly. That was a plus as they were able to get a good start before the animals could after them.

I would say we had about a 50% success rate with the tubers sprouting - not too bad for a "toss and hope for the best" operation!

Let me add - these are HOA owned man-made retention ponds. I wouldn't do this in a pond in the "wild". But there's little concern about upsetting the ecosystem here as these ponds don't connect to any other waterways and we essentially manage the ecosystem by stocking the fish, cutting back the cattails and other pond weeds, dredging the ponds, etc.

(We currently have an HOA president who insists on treating the ponds for "weeds" which only adds to the dead organic material on the bottom of the pond which then leads to more dredging... anyway. I digress! ) In your own ponds I would say give it a try!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We have natural ponds in our neighborhood that are full of fish, ducks and geese. The water lilies we've planted in them grow just fine. The trick is to get them started and then let nature take Her course.

We used net bags - like you would buy oranges or onions in from the store - and put big clumps of lily tuber inside each one, added a few rocks and then tied it closed. We threw those in the pond in an area where we hoped the depth was correct - some lilies prefer it deeper than others. Our ponds are full of silt on the bottom so those bags sunk very quickly. That was a plus as they were able to get a good start before the animals could after them.

I would say we had about a 50% success rate with the tubers sprouting - not too bad for a "toss and hope for the best" operation!

Let me add - these are HOA owned man-made retention ponds. I wouldn't do this in a pond in the "wild". But there's little concern about upsetting the ecosystem here as these ponds don't connect to any other waterways and we essentially manage the ecosystem by stocking the fish, cutting back the cattails and other pond weeds, dredging the ponds, etc.

(We currently have an HOA president who insists on treating the ponds for "weeds" which only adds to the dead organic material on the bottom of the pond which then leads to more dredging... anyway. I digress! ) In your own ponds I would say give it a try!
Good way to do it! Does the weed killer kill any lilies?

Ask a Question