Well based pond circulation system

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am considering putting in a well that will pump fresh water to my pond and a skimmer that will pull water out. I have tried to find information on how such a system works but so far have not been able to locate much. Does anyone here use such a system and if so could you tell me how it is set up? I know I have to make sure the well water gets enough oxygen before going into the pond. I can also probably figure the water in part but getting the water out is what has me stumped. I can't just dump overflow in my yard because it's not big enough to constantly disperse water in it. I thought perhaps another well can receive the exhausted water but that does not sound environmentally sound. Dirty water would get into the well reservoir. The main reason I am considering this is that my water temp has been around 93 degrees and that's just too hot for the Koi. The pond is mostly in shade by the way. It would also eliminate poor water quality as it is always being turned over. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You have lost me, LOL! We don’t have a well, so I have no concept….. Are you only wanting the well to be for adding water to the pond?

Why not catch rainwater instead?

Why not add more aeration to the pond? That would help get more oxygen in the water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I saw this in another post you posted about. So this is why, the heat? The deeper the pond and the bigger it is the cooler it will be. I'm sure tho you don't want to re-dig your pond deeper or larger. Wouldn't it be quite expensive to run that well pump so often and wouldn't it be hard on the well pump? I like the aeration idea and perhaps waterfalls and shades over pond. Maybe dig a bog to have a better filtration system? Is there such a thing as a water chiller for a pond? Ok just looked it up and to my surprise there is such a thing:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am considering putting in a well that will pump fresh water to my pond and a skimmer that will pull water out. I have tried to find information on how such a system works but so far have not been able to locate much. Does anyone here use such a system and if so could you tell me how it is set up? I know I have to make sure the well water gets enough oxygen before going into the pond. I can also probably figure the water in part but getting the water out is what has me stumped. I can't just dump overflow in my yard because it's not big enough to constantly disperse water in it. I thought perhaps another well can receive the exhausted water but that does not sound environmentally sound. Dirty water would get into the well reservoir. The main reason I am considering this is that my water temp has been around 93 degrees and that's just too hot for the Koi. The pond is mostly in shade by the way. It would also eliminate poor water quality as it is always being turned over. Any help with this would be appreciated.
Are you using a submersible pump ? If so that adds a ton of heat to your pond.
You said the pond is mostly in the shade . So get it so it is 100% in the shade.
I'm not a huge knowledge base on Florida but when I have come down there in the fall and winter and it was a 70 degree day in February and the water Temps were 68 when I rented a boat and went fishing it was like the circus came to town.
People were stopping there cars wearing their jackets and sweaters taking pictures of the nut swimming in Colllldddd water. Lakes and ponds here in the north east never get above 74 degrees so I was at home. So I wonder if 93 is realy all that hot for koi.
Do you have a fish cave that can give them a nice cool place to go and chill.
If they are always in the cave then it would look like it maybe too hot if they ar e never in it then I'd say it's not a big deal.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You have lost me, LOL! We don’t have a well, so I have no concept….. Are you only wanting the well to be for adding water to the pond?

Why not catch rainwater instead?

Why not add more aeration to the pond? That would help get more oxygen in the water.
Rain water is not constant. I am trying to get a constant supply of water going in and coming out the other side.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Could you use a float valve? There may be enough evaporation on a hot day to turn it on for a while. Or you could put the well pump on a timer to top off the water but not cause runoff. A French drain could handle a bit of overflow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’ve heard what you’re referring to called a flow-through system. One of the moderators over on Koiphen (icu2) had a pond like this. I don’t remember all the details, though. I think he was doing small enough water changes and had enough property that “where does the water go” (back into the aquifer, I guess) was not a problem for him.

Sadly, icu2 recently passed away, so he’s not available to answer questions anymore, but there’s lots of documentation on it if you go hunting over there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok just looked it up and to my surprise there is such a thing:
They are VERY EXPENSIVE to run and generate a ton of heat around the unit.
Tried to do a cold water reef years ago while the water was chilled to 65 degrees the room was 105I

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They are VERY EXPENSIVE to run and generate a ton of heat around the unit.
Tried to do a cold water reef years ago while the water was chilled to 65 degrees the room was 105I
I figured they would be very expensive but was interesting to view. Like trying to use an AC outdoors!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now I’m more confused than ever. Are you talking about top-offs or a constant flow of water…..in and out?
constant flow water. Water comes in from well goes into pond and then goes out from other side of pond. Not sure how to manage the water out part.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
constant flow water. Water comes in from well goes into pond and then goes out from other side of pond. Not sure how to manage the water out part.
Why can't you set the well to pump water in using a timer so it won't send out water from the pond too often? Otherwise it seems you are not gonna get away w/o flooding unless you might like a giant swimming hole in your yard deep enough so water can drain down through the earth fast enough to control overflow :cool:

pondswim.gif

Ask a Question