what fruits and veggies can i feed my goldfish?

Reaction score
hello,
i think this would be a good useful thread so im wondering what kind of fruits and veggies are safe to feed goldfish?, and how often to feed and how to prepare them?
thank you:goldfish:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
talal, I give mine peas. I boil the peas and take the husks off and chop them up. It's good for their digestion and helps against swim bladder disease.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Here is a list I have been given by a Koi farmer, guess it's a good start
Peas
Tomatoes
Cucumber
Duckweed
wheat bread
orange, lemon, grapefruit slices
Romaine lettuce
watermelon
Honey nut or reg. cherrios
Water Hyacinth
worms, georgia reds, earthworms,night crawlers pinks.
All fruit must be seedless or have the seeds removed.

I feed them more as treats, I found that can english peas, and baby lima beans are very well liked by Koi and large comets, Cherrios the bigger koi like them more but broken up the smaller fish enjoy them too, Cucumber and watermelon they will chase and play with but be sure it gets all eaten, Don't let it get into the skimmer, YUCK! as for how often, I feed most natural fruits and veggies once a week or so, cherrios get treated once or twice a day. I'm intrested in seeing what others post as well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice to know, good list of fish foods.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
ive tried most of whats on fishens list but mine only really like peas ..i give them frozen ones defrosted for a min in the microwave then remove the outer shells as they cant digest that too well and chop them up a bit for my smaller goldies ... they go mad for them and yes its good for swim bladder and constipation !..i feed them once every other day

Reaction score
talal101 said:
hello,
i think this would be a good useful thread so im wondering what kind of fruits and veggies are safe to feed goldfish?, and how often to feed and how to prepare them?
thank you:goldfish:

You can give them almost every fruit and veg aslong as your careful, so, first of all, they love grapes! obviously they have to be seedless, then they also love pea's, without the shell, they like brine shrimp, watermellon, lettace, carrot, and most other fruit and veg, but its best to cut it up into small enough pieces, you want to be very cautious, if you were to give them a cherry you wouldnt leave the huge pip inside would you? lol. :regular_waving_emot

Ask a Question