Which meds?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am getting ready to set up a quarantine tank for some possible new fish. I have searched the forum and Dodadd used a mix of Proform- C, salt and Praziquantel.
Here is what I have on hand-
Aquari-sol- Copper salt liquid used to treat ich, protozoan parasites
Jungle pond Parasite Guard- contains salt,trichlorfon &diflubenzuron
KoiRx Terminate- treatment for parasites and fungal- contains formaldehyde, methanol and malachite green
pond salt

I have always used just the salt before with mixed results.
Will what I have do a good job or do I need to get something different?
These fish will be coming from PetSmart ( I know- probably not a good choice) but I have been looking for Gin Rin fish.
I would appreciate any help from you all- Thanks, going to set up the tank and start filling it now.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No but I'm not sure if I need to add meds to the tank or will a salt treatment be enough to make sure they are healthy. They seem to be fine but coming from Petsmart I will watch them closely.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yea, a salt treatment and observe. Don't treat with medications unless you know you need them. What happens is your fish end up building immunities to the medications and then if you do need to treat they won't be very effective. some paraistes and bacteria can take two to three weeks to show up, After about three to four weeks if all looks good then they are ready for the pond. I like hearing your doing this! It's a good practice to get into, and a lot easier to observe the new guys this way and a lot easier and cheper to trat this way if you need to. What kind of Gin Rin did you pick out? I have several Gin Rins, My favorite is my Showa butterfly I raised from egg last year and a Hi Utsuri I bought very small this year. I think I have 7 gin rin in all

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks for the info- I try to keep meds on hand as I have had a lot of problems in the past.
As far as the new fish, I'm not too good with the formal names, didn't even know what a gin rin was until I ran across one on Ebay. I had posted a pic before asking for the type of fish I had. It is what is called a diamond scaled and is actually a purple color. The new ones are a solid yellow and a solid white. Also found a german scale orange I like.

Ask a Question