White fuzzy slime covering fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. So the ice is finally melting off my pond, allowing me to check in on my fish. A couple of them don't look so good, covered in this white fuzzy looking slime. One is especially bad, keeping herself isolated and kind of looking like she has some lumps or ulcers on her. The other is swimming normally but has the white slime. The rest look like they're doing fine.

Because it is still so cold, that makes it hard to treat the fish, doesn't it? I could move the two sick ones into a 100 gallon tub for treatment, but I worry that that's a lot of stress for fish who are still partially hibernating. I have Microbe-Lift on hand, but again, the cold makes it difficult because that's for temperatures over 50°. The next couple of weeks are going to be warmer, fluctuating from 47 all the way up to 70. Maybe I could wait for the water to warm? Thoughts anyone? I've had them for years and I really don't want to lose them....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Jenny,
Glad to hear your ice is almost gone.
You seem to have problems every spring.
It would be helpful if you posted your pond size, configuration (including circulation and filtration details), fish population (including numbers, type and size), and water test results.
We can help you prevent problems in the future with this information.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do seem to have problems every spring :( This will actually be my last spring as a pond keeper as I'm moving soon.

The pond I'm having problems with is about 1200 gallons, and there are 7 goldfish ranging from about 6-10 inches. The only circulation I have going right now is an aerator. I haven't done test results yet, but I can. Would any of that cause fungus though? Isn't that from a parasite?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Fungus problems are a result of poor water quality, not parasites.
Poor water quality includes high ammonia, low PH, PH swings, low oxygen, which results in stressed fish and a compromise of their protective mucous covering.
Water test numbers will help with recommendations for a remedy.
Water test parameters that will help are PH, KH, GH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature.
A description of any algae that are present is helpful as well.

Ask a Question