Winter evaporation?

Reaction score
I am trying to determine whether I have a leak or if my pond is just evaporating very quickly.

Here's the details.

Pond is ~1200 gallons, 2 feet deep one end, 3 feet other end. ~ 14 feet by 6 feet. I am in zone 5. I have shut down my waterfall and am running one pump to circulate water at the surface. I am also running a 1500 Watts deicer as needed, which actually manages to heat the water to about 40 degrees.

We have been experiencing quite a cold snap for the past two weeks. Temps from 0 - 20 degrees, wind chills below zero. Since it has gotten this cold I have been experience fairly large amounts of waterloss. The ground is completely frozen around the pond, so it is very difficult to tell if there is water leaking out.

I have seen as much as a 4-5 inch drop over a 2-3 day period. Since the water is being "heated" to a relatively high temp compared to the air, and we all know cold air is very dry, is it possible to lose that much water to evaporation?

Any one else using heaters in winter experience large amounts of evaporation?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
This seems excessive. I would look to see if you pump is diverting water anywhere. I first look at my waterfall then my stream for water that has been diverted when I experience this kind of loss.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That does seems like a lot of loss ..
Are all the pipes and pump you have running under the water ?

My pond has gone down about 2" this week but all the ice around my waterfall should melt and put it back in a few days

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would first look at all the pipes and fittings for a leak. If no leaks there let the water drop and when it stops go around the waterline and check for punctures.

Ask a Question