Winter Pond Temps

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The heater has been plugged in for a couple days now, but water bubbling from the airstones have just iced it over.
Outside temp -25C-13F
IMG_0181.JPG

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Lost my thermometer last month under the snow, and back then the surface water temperature was 31 degrees, not much difference with the bottom temperture, and I don't think it has warmed up, rather it is much colder now. When I took a piece of hornwort out of the pond last week with one inch of water in dish, water was starting to freeze before I even got to house with it two short minutes later. I can tell you it is minus 20c at least right now and if I unplug the pond heater the open pools of surface water will start to close before my eyes! Yes it is cold, water does not get much colder, large portions of connecting ponds are froze over. Fish are alway fine, even the fancy little goldfish with big fan tails and the koi always make it every year just fine, matter of fact I rarely lose any fish. I think the last time I lost fish was a couple years ago big blue heron eat some before I fixed it so he never could come back with big strings high above pond from trees to house. Have not lost a fish to winter kill for many years now, and my pond does get very cold water, but that water runs all year like the river or creek and it does very well for me. My koi are mostly solid colors but I do have some fancy koi as well. Everybody fine here in Canada, my method has worked well for over 22 years so I don't panic anymore or worry.

If you ask me the biggest problem with winter is too many fish crowded under the solid ice and they run out of fresh air supply and gas build up can cause way more problems than ice cold water. Don't forget if you are heating your pond with big heater like me, you can loose lots of water due to evaporation when temps extremely cold. Don't forget to top off your pond in winter too! :)

Attachments

• IMAG3752.jpg
    IMAG3752.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 255
  • IMAG3704-1.jpg
    IMAG3704-1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 285

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Pond Description: Garden pond with goldfish, but made with box turtles in mind [now brumating].
Style: Eclectic
Approx. gallons/liter: 3000+ gal
Max depth: 4'
General Notes: Running pump through Skippy filter. Stopped feeding fish a while back (plenty of algae growth) 'cause our temps. are bouncing around from 30's to 70's. Fish seem to be doing OK; seem healthy; active.

Date: 12/27/12
Time: 4:30pm
Outside air temp: 49
Surface pond temp: 46.5
Bottom pond temp: 49.4

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Pond Description: In Ground
Style: Fountain to Kidney Shaped Non-preformed Small Pond
Approx. gallons/liter: 250 Gallons
Max depth: 12'' or 1'
General Notes: 3 Low Wattage Mag Drive Pumps @ 1,300 GPH Flow Rate, 21 Hours a Day Running, 8 Goldfish (2 Shubunkin, 6 Common) @ 3-3.5'' long, Pond is only 5 months old

Date:12-28-2012
Time:11:15 AM
Outside air temp: 50 F
Surface pond temp: Curious? Need to buy Thermostat!
Bottom pond temp: Dido ^

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pond Description:
Style: Formal
Approx. gallons/liter: 3600 G
Max depth: 4 ft
General Notes: Only running air pump. Airstone located 12" below surface on shelf
15 Koi, 8" - 24"

Date: 30-Dec-2012
Time: 2345 hrs
Outside air temp: 27.3 F
Surface pond temp: 35.8 (2.1C)
Bottom pond temp: 36.6F

Only about 1 degree difference now between top and bottom. It's a shame we don't have anyone posting here with like an 8' ft. deep pond. Would be very interested in seeing the temp differences in something like that.

Craig

Reaction score
Date: 30-Dec-2012
Time: 9:41 pm
Outside air temp: 20.3 F (-6.5 C)
Surface pond temp: 34.7 F (1.5 C) 12" depth
Bottom pond temp: 39.38 F (4.1 C) 5ft depth

Been keeping a hole open in my pond with my hand for the last couple weeks, but with colder temps in the forecast I don't think that will be possible after tonight.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I was finally able to get into town and pick up a new thermometer. I made sure this time to coat the probe and 1st couple of inches of the wire with candle wax so the probe end would be waterproof.
The bottom reading is 37.9F and it's stayed there for a couple of days now.
The ice is about 8 - 10 inches thick. The heater I have only has about a 5' cord on it and only reaches to the edge of my plant shelf. I don't think I'll have access to the deeper water again until spring.
The heater is probably only going to keep a hole open on the plant shelf, and the ice will eventually thicken deeper so it cuts off the deeper water from the hole the heater keeps open.
I'm going to have to watch that the heater doesn't melt its' way down to the liner.
I'm not sure how I can reopen a hole through that thick ice.
I turned off the air bubbler a while ago because it was only creating ice domes over whatever open water there was, heater or not.
Outside temp is 32F/0C

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Go to a hardware store and get tubing and stick the cord with extention in tubbing and seal good the open end with something and slide that heater to the center of pond or something creative like that. Plug into a GFI to be safe.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Only about 1 degree difference now between top and bottom. It's a shame we don't have anyone posting here with like an 8' ft. deep pond. Would be very interested in seeing the temp differences in something like that.
Craig

Agree. Have limited SCUBA experience, so don't know the "numbers," but seems that the thermoclines start out much deeper and I didn't start noticing temp differences until, like 10' down [lake diving, only]. So far our air temps are averaging in the 50's, and with that, I am noticing a consistent 2 degree difference between the surface water temp and the bottom water temp [4']. Will be curious to see what the water temps do once the colder air temps set in.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have dove a lot. Off the coast of calif, in January it was darn cold, but you could go through a even colder layer of water, then warmer all in the same plane of depth. In the Caribbean, the water is warmer at surface, cools as you drop, not by enough you really notice. The change is around 2-3 degrees, the clarity of the water lets the sun penetrate. Deepest I have been was 125 feet. I usually wear a wet suit, even 80 degree water cools my body too much to enjoy the dive.

http://www.deep-six.com/page81.htm

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Colleen, that's a good idea.
I was able to find a 10' X 2" piece of PVC pipe that I ran a 12 guage extension cord through. In the previous location, the cord from the heater also got warm, so it eventually carved it's way down through the ice into the water.
The PVC pipe will keep the cord off the ice and still allow the heater to sink down to water level.
Here is a picture after about 2 hours. Hopefully by tomorrow morning the heater should have melted it's way through.
We have another cold snap coming, I understand.

2013-01-08 14.07.03.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
This is what it looks like the next morning.
I'm not sure you can see, but the heater has created a pool of water on top of the existing ice. The pool is about 6 inches deep with about 2 inches of ice remaining to melt through. Today is the last day before we have another 1 week long cold snap coming, so I hope the remaining 2" of ice will melt today so the water below is exposed to the open air - otherwise the water will probably freeze over again.

2013-01-09 11.03.03.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
No, I had to turn the bubbler off because it only formed ice domes over the open spaces, and even iced over the heater.
If it is this much trouble to keep open water on the pond here, next year I'm just going to bring the fish inside.

Ask a Question