winterizing skimmer/biofalls/etc

Reaction score
how much really needs to be done with this? i've seen conflicting advice. some people seem to suggest that other than disconnecting/storing the pump, you don't have to do much because the skimmer and biofalls are pretty durable and designed to take a freeze. others suggest that you should completely drain the biofalls, blow out the lines, and keep a bubbler/de-icer/etc to prevent the skimmer from freezing.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I use a submersable pump. so i remove my pump,and hoses. drain my DIY filter falls and cover it so it remains clean and dry til spring. i use my filter media in my basement wintering ponds filter. but if i didnt i would thuroughly clean it and store it til spring as well. i believe an external pump should be removed and the lines at least drained.

Reaction score
yeah, i have an external pump, and my concern is the buried line from my skimmer to the pump. i'm going to remove the pump, but i put a check valve in at a low point near the skimmer. i can shop vac out the line between the pump and the check valve, but obviously there will be water in the few feet of line between the check valve and the skimmer.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have an external pump so I can speak to that and also have a skimmer and filter. I drain my filter and leave open the drain valve a little bit to drain any water that may get in there from snow or rain. For the skimmer I don't do anything with it, water freezes in it and I have had no problems, and the same goes for the pipe that goes from the bottom of the skimmer to the pump. Water is in that pipe but only at the same height as the pond water, once that pipe rises above the pond water level there is no water in it; think of it like a water level. The pipe I have is 2" pvc so it is very sturdy.

How much of your pipe is underground from your check valve to the skimmer?

Reaction score
roughly 2-3 feet, then from the valve to the external pump it is a run of about 10 feet. this portion of the line is only about 12" below the ground, which is why i want to vacuum it out.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What type of pipe did you use? Are you putting some sort of cap on the exit point of your skimmer to block the water from going to the pipe once you shut it down?

I don't do anything with the water that is in my pipe from the skimmer to the pump. Have never had any problems with it going on six years this winter.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you don't block it off somehow water will always remain in there for as long as the skimmer has water in it, so vacuuming it out would not do any good anyway.

Something you may want to consider doing either now or in the future is to replace the check valve with a ball valve, then you would not have to worry about vacuuming out the water from the now check valve to the pump it would flow back into the pond. The ball valve would give you more flexibility and the check valve is probably reducing some of your draw you are getting from your pump. You may end up with more flow but it may not be noticeable either.

Reaction score
the check value is actually a more expensive flapper type that takes almost no force to open. unfortunately, i need the check valve to keep my pump primed when it is off because it is a little bit higher than the skimmer, and the check valve is there to prevent water from flowing back into the pond. :)

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ok I have a self priming pump don't need a check valve.

Another thought here I will try to explain correctly: Your pipe enters the skimmer at the bottom of it, find out what size pvc will fit snuggly into it and get a 90 degree elbow to put on it (not permanent as you want to take this off once winter is over) then add another section of pipe long enough to be a few inches above the water level in the skimmer and so the lid can still be shut, then take your vacuum and put it into the pipe and suck out that water.

What kind of skimmer?

Reaction score
also, my pump is self priming too, but when i first set it all up it didn't seem to self prime very well. i don't know if that's because of how high it is compared to the water level, or because of the fact that there is so much plumbing between the skimmer and the pump.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have the same one.

Now I bought the external pump pipe attachment from savio as well but did not use the threaded 8" or so piece of pipe that came with it, just used the bulkhead fitting. Not sure if you did the same or not, but if you used that section of pipe on the outside of the skimmer then you should be able to find a male threaded piece of pvc to go screw into the bulkhead fitting just don't over tighten it, if you have that 8" piece of pipe screwed in the inside of the filter to the bulkhead fitting then find a female threaded adapter to go on this then put on a 90 degree.

C618.jpg

Ask a Question